Sunscreen is a product used to protect the skin against the harmful rays of the sun. Sunscreens can be in the form of lotion, spray or gel. There are three types of UV filters that are used for sunscreens. The first one uses organic chemical compounds to be able to absorb ultraviolet light. The second uses inorganic particulates that are used to reflect or absorb ultraviolet light. The third is organic particulates that also absorb ultraviolet light but can also scatter light. You must use sunscreen each time you go out to protect your skin from skin damage, such as acne.
Here are some of the advantages of using sunscreen:
- Ideal sunscreen. Everyone needs to wear sunscreen, regardless of the type of skin that they have. Even though you are not going sun bathing, it is essential that you apply sunscreen to prevent the rays of the sun from damaging your skin. Prolonged exposure to the sun can cause wrinkles or even skin cancer. It is recommended that you use sunscreen that can protect both UVA and UBV rays. Get at least and SPF of 15 or higher.
- For everyone. Sunscreen must be worn by everyone over 6 months of age. This includes infants and babies. It will also help if you wear protective clothing when you are going to be exposed under the sun for a long time. You can wear long sleeved shirts, sunglasses and brimmed hats.
- Prevents skin cancer. Using sunscreen can prevent you from having skin cancer. Ultraviolet light can hold back the body’s immune system, which fights diseases that enter the body. With the help of sunscreen, the ultraviolet light is bounced off or absorbed. This prevents the immune system from breaking down and the tendency of cancer cells to grow will be lessened.
- Shielding of proteins. Wearing sunscreen daily will shield and keep proteins inside the skin. These proteins are keratin, collagen and elastin. They are the proteins that keep the skin feeling firm and smooth. Protecting these proteins will lessen the rate of aging of the skin. It can also prevent wrinkles, sun spots and age spots from forming. Most cosmetics and skin care products already come with sunscreen so that you won’t need to put on additional sunscreen when you wear make-up.
- Prevents other diseases. Long-term usage of sunscreen can also prevent skin damage, cataracts and immune suppression. You must apply sunscreen at least 20 minutes before you get exposed to the sun. Re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours. You can also wear UV protection sunglasses so that your eyes can also be protected.
These are some of the benefits of using sunscreen everyday. You may not see the benefits now but in the long run, you will see that using sunscreen really is advantageous. A lot of people’s skin age more quickly and appear dry because they do not use protection. There are a lot of products that are infused with sunscreen. You can use lip balms that have sunscreen protection too. It is good to have a small bottle of sunscreen with you wherever you go so that you will always be ready.