Fashion trends come and go so fast, you'll end up with an outdated wardrobe if you don't keep current. Fortunately, there are so many ways to stay updated on the latest trends. You don't even have to read fashion magazines to do so - sometimes, all you need is a keen eye and sharp observation skills! Read on to find out how to always be in fashion.
- Check the women's magazines and fashion magazines at the newsstand everyday. Women's magazines feature what's hot and what's not, offer style tips on how to wear the latest trends, and contain a directory where you can buy the most fashionable clothes. They'll even tell you where to buy cheaper versions of designer outfits! Fashion magazines feature high fashion and couture fashion and focus more on what's on the runway. Those with a superficial interest in fashion might find it hard to appreciate the photo spreads and unusual designs in high fashion magazines, and are probably better off reading women's magazines.
- Besides looking at the style tips and reading the fashion articles in magazines, you can also pay attention to the clothes in advertisements. Often, models in print ads for products not related to clothing wear up-to-date clothing.
- Think buying magazines is a waste of money? You can stay updated on the latest fashion trends for free by reading fashion blogs! There are hundreds of fashion blogs out there, so many that it's hard to know where to begin, but a good starting point would be to visit the websites of women's magazines and fashion magazines. Not only do fashion magazine websites have blogs; they also feature photos and snippets of articles and spreads in their latest issues and back issues.
- Don't go on the Internet all that much? You can stay updated on the latest trends just by watching TV--and not just channels such as Fashion TV. Reality shows and commercials often feature women wearing the latest trends. Not to mention that there are reality shows geared towards the fashion and modeling industry (e.g. America's Next Top Model and Project Runway). Finally, channels such as E! have shows that feature the best and worst dressed celebrities, so you'll know what to wear and what to avoid.
- Go window-shopping--and I don't mean at places like Walmart. Take a walk downtown or around an upscale mall and check out the window displays. You don't even have to go inside to take a look--just glancing at what's in the window will give you an idea of what's hot this season.
- Observe the people around you. Simply watching what people wear will give you hints on the latest fashion trends. If you have a coworker or a classmate whose fashion sense you particularly admire, ask her for advice on the best places to go shopping for the latest clothes.
Keep in mind that not all fashion trends suit everyone! For instance, high-waisted shorts tend to look unflattering on curvy women. Don't go blindly following trends just because everyone is doing it.