Changing your hair color may definitely enhance your look. However, hair dye comes in a wide variety of colors and this may confuse any buyer. In choosing the right hair dye product, you need to be smart especially if this is the first time you are dyeing your hair. Remember, this can be permanent and you want to enhance your hair and not to totally destroy it. Here are some tips to help you:
- Choose the right color for your hair. Hair dyes are supposed to enhance your look. So, if it is the first time you are dyeing your hair, it is best to go for at most 3 shades darker or lighter than your natural hair. As a guide, the colors used follow a common pattern where unit 1 is black and 10 is light blonde. The other units indicated refer to the warmth and coolness of the colors. So it is important to also pay attention to the color names indicated in the hair dye.
- Other manufacturers place color guides in the box. These color guides provide you the end result depending on your hair color. Check this guide and review it thoroughly so you know what to expect as an end result.
In choosing the right color, it is important to be aware that if your hair has highlights or if you have a lot of gray hair, the end-result may be different than what you expected. If in doubt, it is best to seek advice from a hair specialist.
- Choose semi-permanent hair dye. If it is the first time you're dyeing you hair or if you want to try out a different color and you're not sure if it will fit you, then go for a semi-permanent hair dye. Semi-permanent hair dyes last for about 18 to 24 washes. Once you're sure and you're already comfortable with the hair color, then go ahead and switch to permanent hair dye.
- Prefer a brand hair dye product. Choosing a brand name over homemade hair dye products is a lot safer for you. Remember, these products contain chemicals and may be harmful to you so it is best to go for the brand name products.
- Conduct a skin test. Hair dyes can also cause an allergy so it is important for you to conduct a skin test before putting it on your hair. The brand name hair dye products provide specific instructions on how to do a skin test so make sure to read this thoroughly. You also need to read the precautions and warnings indicated on the label. Always go for the brand that you are comfortable with.
The manufacturers of brand name products also offer customer support that you can call for any inquiry or concern. This will be helpful if you encounter any problems while dyeing your hair.
- Seek help of a hair specialist. You can get the best advice from a hair specialist. Visit a salon and have your hair assessed. Hair specialists can definitely provide you a range of colors that will suit you. This is the safest way of knowing the right hair color to enhance your look.