Here is how to choose that very special dress for that very special night:
- Size Make sure that your dress fits you perfectly. A size too tiny, and you would have unflattering bulges. A size too huge, and you will look unnatural. Be comfortable in what size you are, and try not to alter your weight just to fit the dress you adore. Consider the length of the dress as well. Don’t buy a dress if it is too short or long for you, because doing so would only spell disaster in the form of tripping or exposure. Keep in mind that prom dresses can be altered to fit you perfectly, so save the trouble and feel good about yourself.
- Style What style do you like to be in? Do you like classical or trendy? Girly or dominant? Would you like to shine like a star or exude an aura of mystery? The choices are endless. Just make sure to match your dress with your personality, appearance, body type and age. Choose a dress that accentuates your assets and subdues your flaws. If you want, you could ask for help from the sales ladies so that they would pick the best dress for you. Lastly, remember to follow the dress codes (and know what they mean) if there are any, so that you have a good time socializing and not embarrassing yourself.
- Color Choose colors that flatter. You could do this by observing your hair, eye and skin colors. Afterwards, pick out dresses that best match these. For example, if you have brown hair, black eyes and very fair skin, choose something that has brown, black and white in it. Try out colors that are similar to your own colors in such a way that they have something in common. If you have blue eyes, you could choose blue-green or purple because they are bluish. Remember also to match color intensities. This means that if you have deep contrast in your look, wear dresses with contrasting elements in them like black and white patterns. Doing so would make you look gorgeous.
- Fabric Prom dresses come in a variety of materials. There are fabrics that sparkle, shine, flow and billow, support and shape. The type of fabric will affect the shape of the dress. A rigid material creates a shape of its own, silky ones will drape over your body while stretchy ones show the contours of your figure. If you want to show off your figure, you can get away with cloth, which can reveal your shape. To hide problem areas, choose tailored dresses that give a flattering outline.
- Hair, make-up, accessories, nails, bags and shoes Consider these when shopping for your prom dress, because everything you carry with you to the prom must match. It is up to you whether you buy your prom dress first and match your other things to it later, or the other way around. Just make sure that colors, style, theme and design elements are coordinated, and they are all appropriate to your age, size, body type and personality.
The ultimate technique for finding the perfect prom dress is to know who you are and what you want, flaunt what you have and stand out from the rest. Have fun!