You can easily have beautiful hair highlights without spending a fortune at the salon. Many do not believe that they can do them on their own; they fear that they will ruin their hair and not get the highlighting results that they desire. The good news is, you can do them yourself and have the same results as those who have spent a lot of money.
- First you should go to your local department store or any store that sells home hair coloring kits. Choose the hair highlighting kit that is going to work best for your hair. There are several highlighting kits from which to choose. They make kits that are suitable for short hair, long hair, dark hair and light hair.
- Most hair highlighting kits advise that you do your highlights on hair that has not been freshly washed. It is best to do your hair in the morning if you washed it the day before, or in the evening if you washed it that morning.
- You will then need to style your hair as you would on a normal day. Be sure to brush or comb your hair and part your hair in the way that you prefer. This is a very important step, as you will want your hair highlights to frame your face in the best way for your hairstyle.
- Next, it's time to apply the hair highlighting cap. The cap will have a variety of choices for your highlights. There are circles on the cap that will help you choose how much or how little highlighting you'd like to achieve. For example, if you are looking for lots of highlights, all over your head, then you will pull hair through every circle. If you'd prefer to only do a few highlights around the front of your hair, then you would instead do every other circle around the front.
- Now, begin pulling your hair through the cap with the tool provided. Be sure to pull the sections of hair through completely. You will continue to do this all over and through all of the desired circles. You may need to ask for assistance from a friend in order to get the hard to reach circles in the back of your head.
- Once the hair is pulled through the cap, you will then need to comb the hair to be sure you've pulled them all through without leaving any pieces halfway in or out of the holes. Once this is completed, you will mix and apply the highlighting solution and leave on for the recommended time.
- When the time has expired,l rinse the solution from your hair and then remove the cap. Wash all of your hair with the provided shampoo and conditioner. Once you dry and style your hair, you will see your beautiful new highlights!