The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show is one of the most highly anticipated fashion shows of the year. It's more than just gorgeous, long-legged models walking down the runway in lingerie; each model is adorned with feathers, glitter, and avant-garde makeup, turning every one of them into a unique, living work of art. Unfortunately, the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show is also one of the most exclusive events in the fashion industry. You don't buy tickets to attend the fashion show; you have to get invited by the organizers or the designers. And if it's that difficult to become part of the audience, it's doubly difficult to get backstage access. Difficult, but not impossible. Read on to find out how to get backstage at a Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
- Work for Victoria's Secret and slowly make your way to the top. Top executives and managers of Victoria's Secret are naturally invited to the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
- Become a world-class supermodel. Not only will this allow you backstage access to the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show; you could end up modeling lingerie for the fashion show yourself!
- Become a make-up artist. Every single model will require layers and layers of makeup, and the organizers will need make-up artists and their assistants to be there. You can either become a make-up artist worthy of painting the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show models, or you can be an apprentice or assistant of a world-class makeup artist who will be there.
- Become a journalist or a fashion editor at a major magazine, like Vogue or Cosmopolitan. Journalists and magazine writers assigned to cover the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show will surely get an invite to this illustrious event. However, a backstage pass is not a guarantee. If you ever make it that far into your journalistic career, it won't hurt to ask the organizers to give you a backstage pass for more in-depth coverage of the event.
- Write for a high-profile fashion blog or celebrity blog. Celebrity bloggers like Perez Hilton usually receive invitations to attend high profile events and after-parties. The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show is just one of them. A backstage pass is not a guarantee, but again, it won't hurt to ask the organizers to give you access.
- Become a bouncer. The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show will require large, able-bodied men to stand guard at the entrance of the dressing rooms to keep unauthorized personnel from entering. Although this isn't exactly the same as getting backstage and interacting with the models, there's always the chance that you, the bouncer, may be called backstage to make sure everything is in order. If you are not a large, able-bodied man, then this tip probably won't work for you.
- Win a contest. There may be magazine promos or Victoria's Secret promos that give ordinary people a chance to win an invite to the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. Keep your eyes peeled for these opportunities.
- Wait for the DVD to come out. DVDs of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show will be available for sale weeks after the event. Not only will the DVD cover the entire show; there will also be interviews and backstage coverage. It's not the same as being backstage yourself, but unless you're connected to the journalism or fashion industry, this is probably the closest you'll get.