Knowing what to wear for your body shape will allow you to express your personal style and look good no matter what the occasion is. Choosing the clothes that suit your figure best will add a lot of zing to your look. There are four body shape categories most women fall under. Read on to get body shape fashion tips that will work for your figure.
Apple body shape. Apple body shape types have an upper body that's larger than their lower body. When women with apple bodies gain weight, it shows more around the waistline. The great thing about apple body shapes is that they can show off their fabulous legs! The trick to picking out clothes is to look for pieces that will de-emphasize the waist and minimize the appearance of broad shoulders. Here are some style tips for apple shapes:
- Choose v-neck tops and dresses, as they draw the eyes upward and create an elongated look
- Wrap tops, cinched waists, and belted jackets give the illusion of a smaller waist
- Empire cut tops and dresses can camouflage any extra weight in the tummy area
- Pair shorts and skirts with flowing tops or tunic tops to create proportion while showing off your legs
- When buying jeans, look for low-rise jeans in wide leg styles, or boot cuts with a slimming top
Pear body shape. Women with pear-shaped bodies have smaller upper bodies and larger hips, thighs and legs. The trick to dressing up is to call attention to your fabulous top half and play down the lower body. Check out these style tips:
- Choose wide necklines like cowl necks, as well as textured tops that will draw attention to the upper body
- Pair colorful tops with dark jeans to create a balanced look
- Boot cut or straight leg jeans with heels can create the appearance of slimmer legs
- Choose a-line skirts that skim the hips
Hourglass shape. A curvy upper body and lower body and a defined waist characterize women with an hourglass shape. Ladies with hourglass shapes can either show off their curves or choose clothes that de-emphasize their hips or bust.
- Show off your waist by choosing clothing that will define the area, like belted dresses, wrap dresses, or dresses with cinched waists Tailored blouses, fitted skirts, and high-wasted skirts and shorts will also show off those curves
- To balance an hourglass figure, choose monochromatic colors
- V-neck tops and dresses will elongate your figure
- Avoid adding extra bulk by choosing dresses and tops made of thin, lightweight fabric
Rectangle shape. Also referred to as the athletic figure, a rectangular shape is the least defined of the figures. Breast, waist, and hip measurements are similar to each other, and weight gain is evenly distributed. Create the illusion of more curves by following these body shape fashion tips:
- Go for v-neck or scoop-neck tops and dresses
- Layered looks will create more dimension to your figure
- Choose jeans with a faded thigh area to create the illusion of curvier hips. Jeans with an embellished bottom can also give the illusion of a bigger bum.
- Look for dresses that break columnar styles, like loud prints, geometric shapes, and dresses with dimension details like ruffles and ruching.