A lady in red is a sure head turner wherever she goes. Red is a very attractive and powerful color that a red dress will no doubt make you stand out in any crowd. Yet you will look more astounding with a red dress if you know how to accessorize it properly. Here are some ideas you can use in sprucing up your red dress.
- Consider the occasion. Whether it is daytime casual affair or evening formal cocktail - the accessories you use for a red dress should match the time and kind of event. For casual affair, turn a plain looking red dress to a dazzler by pinning a flower brooch on its left lapel. The brooch must be of contrasting color (preferably of lighter shade) to make it more visible. Silver, blue, green, yellow or gold colored brooch will create a lovely combination. Meanwhile if you are going to a more formal occasion at night, silver, gold or purple accessories will go well with your dress.
- Choose shoes and bags that will give your red dress a total look. The common fashion blunder among many ladies is the belief that to look good, everything should match from head to toe. You do not really need to wear all red, all yellow, all pink or whatever color motif you want. So with a red dress, you can wear an off-red color of shoes and bags - some shades lighter than red. Silver, gold, black or brown high heeled sandals will match your red dress nicely.
- Throw a grey or shawl around your shoulders if you are going to an evening affair, particularly when it is an outdoor party and you are wearing an off shoulder red dress. Meanwhile a scarf can give a rather plain looking red dress a cool, refreshing look.
- Put on the correct jewelry. Ruby, diamonds, pearls or opal stones will coordinate beautifully with a red dress. Make sure however that the stones have the same color tone with your dress (except for pearls). Diamonds are classic and neutral and can be worn with any outfit. However opal and ruby stones come in different tones. Choose the tone that will match the color tone of your red dress.
- Try a pair of high knee boots for casual occasions. Sometimes even a boring dress can be spruced up with the right footwear. So if you are wearing a plain red dress, the way to make it stand out is by wearing head-turner shoes. High knee boots (black or brown) will add excitement to your red dress, especially if its design is quite sporty, such as a halter with standing collar style.
- Slip into a nice fitting cardigan. But since red is already a heavy color, choose a cardigan with lighter color. Make sure the dress and cardigan do not clash in color scheme. The cardigan should draw attention to the red dress and vice versa in a way that they complement each other.
- Pick a thick bangle. A red dress and a stand out bangle are all you need to have complete, sassy attire.
Julia Roberts is not the only gal who is licensed to wear red dress. Any girl can look gorgeous in a red dress so long as it is worn with elegance and confidence and with the correct accessories.