In every special occasion, whether it is Thanksgiving or a high school reunion, you would want to look your best. When you want a total change you might want to consider getting highlights to surprise everyone. A different hair shade can totally transform your looks in more ways than one. You can look younger, more trendy and fresh. You can apply highlights to wide hair sections by following the steps below.
- On the day that you decide to do the highlighting process, do not shampoo your hair, this is to make sure that no other chemicals will affect the dye that you will apply later on. It is advisable to go natural on this day and leave everything as it is when you wake up in the morning.
- Choose the brand that you want to use. Stick with the more popular brands like Garnier and Loreal. It may be more expensive but you can rest assured that these products have been highly tested and reviewed by most professionals.
- Prepare your materials: your coloring kit, brush and gloves. The other accessories usually come with the kit but if you prefer to buy something that will suit you more then feel free to do so. Whatever will make you more comfortable will make the coloring process easier.
- Before you begin, just make sure you have on clothes that you would not be afraid to stain or wear a styling cape if you have one.
- Read the directions on the coloring kit. Make sure that you got a color that is only two shades from your hair color. Unless you want to make a radical change, this is the safest bet.
- Test the color on a small strand, wait for ten minutes and see what it comes up to. Here is where you can experiment with time so you can control the lightness of the color. Once you are done with this, move on to the next step.
- Use clips and get the topmost parts of your hair. Just imagine looking from the top and divide your hair into four sections. Get the foil and get a wide section of your hair on top of the foil. The hair you get should be about two inches in width. Just clip the hair again after getting that few inches.
- Paint the color on the hair till it’s all drenched in the color. Do not forget that the hair should be on top of the foil.
- Once you are done with the painting, fold the foil in half, after this fold again. You can do double or triple folds. Either way works fine. Just make sure you fold the two ends left and right like you would a flat shrimp roll to hold the foil in place.
- Do this for all of the hair sections. Once you are done, time how long you want to leave it on. Follow the instructions on the coloring kit. If you did a strand test then follow the minutes that you got the best hair color result.
- Use the shampoo and conditioner that usually comes along with the kit. Dry your hair normally and you will see the fantastic result and the change that you are hoping for.
Applying hair highlights can definitely change your look. You will be surprised at what a few colors can do to update your dated look. So for any event coming up soon, try to live it up a little. Get a new dress, have a haircut, and get hair highlights. You don’t know what could be in store for you.