Nail polish can be applied professionally at home. You just need the right tools and a small space to do the procedure. You can ask a friend who is willing to be a participant for you to learn. Start with the hands first and learn from there. Keep in mind the following pointers to be on your way to be an expert at applying nail polish.
- Prepare the following items; different colors of nail polish, a manicure set, cotton balls and Q-tips, cloth, basin, gauze or cloth, massage cream, base and top coat.
- Advise your friend who is going to act as your client to be seated comfortably. Sit her in front of a table or somewhere where you can easily paint her nails.
- Get a basin and fill it with warm, soapy water. Soak her hands for a minute to soften the cuticles and the skin.
- Apply hand lotion all over her hands and fingers. This will truly make an enjoyable experience for her. You can massage a bit if you want to be really in character.
- After a few minutes, get a cotton cloth to dry off the hands and a bit of gauze to dry off the nails. Towels might have loose threads and could stick to the nails. This will make you lose time by having to take those all out.
- Choose the nail color that would look best. Try to stick with colors that are not so loud. This would be your first time so it would be ideal to choose something of a less bold shade.
- Apply base coat on her nails, starting from the cuticle to the top. Do one slow stroke with the brush first starting in the middle going up. Next you will need to do the same thing to the sides.
- Let her nails dry for a few seconds while you get the nail polish. Put the bottle in between your palms and rub together as if you are washing your hands. Only this time a nail polish is between your palms. It helps in loosening up any built up liquid inside and avoiding bubbles.
- Unscrew and get the top out. This includes the brush. There might be too much paint on the brush so you need to lessen it by wiping it on the side of the bottle.
- Hold her hand steadily and slowly do a soft stroke of the polish a few centimeters away from the cuticle to the top. Same as how you applied the base coat, start with a long center stroke and apply towards the side.
- Do not repeatedly apply polish because it will end up an uneven mess.
- Once the polish is nicely painted on, leave it for a few minutes to dry. Check the nails to find out if there are some polish that has spread outside the nails.
- Get the top coat and apply on the nails once dry. This will give those nails a professional look and a lasting protection.
- Clean the sides with a tiny piece of cotton or a Q tip. This will finalize the manicure that you just gave.
The way professionals do nail polish is not that different from how you normally do it. The only thing is that they had a more intensive education and more practice. Concentration is required and a certain degree in controlling hand movements. You can easily apply nail polish professionally if you continue to do it and enjoy doing it as well.