Nobody likes acne, but most people believe that acne is an unavoidable fact of life. While there are some factors you can't change, like hormones, puberty, or genetics, there are several simple steps you can take to avoid acne.
- Wash your face. Washing your face twice daily with a mild antibacterial product containing benzoyl peroxide is the most important step you can take to keep acne-causing bacteria at bay. Don't scrub too hard, or you can irritate your skin. A gentle wash can help get rid of any bacteria or other irritants on your face. After you wash your face, apply moisturizer to help hydrate and protect your skin.
- Hands off. Avoid touching your face. Your hands carry grease and bacteria that can clog your pores, so wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face. Most of us touch our faces subconsciously, but if you want to avoid acne, make the conscious effort to stop. If you pay close attention, you'll be surprised at the number of times your hands touch your face. This also goes for picking at existing acne or popping pimples, which will just spread the acne bacteria around your face and increase your problems.
- Clean items that touch your face. Regularly cleaning items that come into contact with your face, such as phones, eyeglasses, and pillowcases, can help eliminate any acne-causing bacteria on them. These items can collect hair products and makeup, which are then transferred to your face when you use them. The same goes for washing your hair frequently, to keep any oils or hair products from being transferred to your face. Cleaning anything that comes near your face will keep this residue from clogging your pores and creating acne.
- Avoid using many layers of makeup. You may be using makeup to cover up existing acne, but this is just making the problem worse. Caking on the makeup will clog your pores, causing more acne. Many low-quality brands also contain harsh chemicals that can irritate your face. If you do wear makeup, choose good quality brands and non-comodogenic products which won't clog pores, and wear your makeup lightly.
- Take care of your body. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, which is an excellent way to keep your skin healthy. Many people find that avoiding dairy products can help reduce acne, and greasy foods can also be a culprit. Get plenty of rest to help refresh your body and mind. This will also help you reduce your stress level, and stress has been shown to cause acne.
- Avoid irritants. Many different things can irritate your skin, from pollution and airborne grease to dirt and oils. If you frequently come into contact with such irritants, be sure to protect your face adequately with moisturizer or a face covering.
It's easy to avoid acne, if you pay attention to your face and avoid doing anything that will introduce acne bacteria. Keep your face and anything touching it clean, and avoid using anything that will irritate your skin.