Brittle and cracked nails are not a good sight to look at, besides being painful. You cannot apply nail polish on them evenly. There are a lot of factors that affect the strength of your fingernails. If you do housework that exposes your hands in harsh detergents or other household chemicals, your nails have the chance to get brittle. Another cause of brittle nails is your age. If you are older, you do not need to wear extra long fingernails. Cut them in a shorter cut than younger people do. If you keep breaking a nail, it may be time for you to pay special attention to your nails. Here are ways on how to avoid making your fingernails brittle:
- Your inner health can cause some brittleness on your fingernails as well, so be sure to keep your health in top shape. Do not forget to drink your vitamin C everyday as well as your folic acid and Omega 3 fatty acids. Keeping your vitamins in a good recommended level will reflect on your nails and health. Women should supplement themselves with calcium as well. Calcium is a bone and nails supplement. Since women tend to lose calcium more than men, they should drink at least two glasses of milk everyday or drink a calcium tablet.
- Loss of moisture is one of the common causes of nail brittleness. Re-hydrate yourself more by drinking more water everyday. 8 glasses of 250 ml water a day is the recommended dose for each person. If you live in a cold climate, make sure you wear gloves when winter season comes. The cold temperature can make your nails lose more moisture at a fast rate. You can use petroleum jelly as well to rehydrate your nails. Apply the petroleum jelly every night on your nails and cover them with cotton gloves and let it stay on over night. This will hold some moisture into your nails while you sleep through it.
- As much as possible, use nail polish sparingly. If you do not need to wear nail polish, do not apply it. This will lessen your need to use a nail polish remover that can cause the brittleness of your nails. Nail polish remover contains acetone. Acetone can dry your nails thus making them brittle. If you need to use nail polish, apply two coats of it and top it with a nail protector polish to keep it strong and hydrated.
- Throw away your habit of biting your nails. Biting your nails can render the quality of your nails to suffer. It will not only make your fingernails look jagged and unsightly, it will cause brittleness around the edges of your nails as well.
- Be careful when you file your nails. Do not rub the file onto your nails too hard. Gently file your nails one stroke direction. Do not file your nails right after you have soaked them in water. Nails soaked on water are prone to breakage.
If you take care of your nails and not abuse they, they will remain beautiful and strong. The most important thing to remember is that your nails can give out the health of your inner body. If you have clouded nails or yellowish nails, you might have some underlying condition in your body that needs to be addressed. Be sure to have your doctor check your health every six months to keep you and your nails healthy always.