Humans have different types of skin: normal, dry, oily, combination and sensitive skin. Each skin type requires its own care and treatment method to keep it healthy and glowing. One of the more challenging types is oily skin.
Having overactive sebaceous glands often lead to oily skin. Individuals with this skin type are prone to pimples, blackheads and other types of skin conditions. Oil easily oozes out of the pores of the skin giving the face a greasy, unattractive shine.
There are many causes of oily skin. It can be genetic, hormonal, due to pregnancy, caused by birth control pills, a particular diet, or certain cosmetics. Hot and humid weather conditions are sometimes blamed for oily skin.
Caring for Oily Skin
If you have this type of skin, it is important to properly care for your skin. Without the proper care, embarrassing skin conditions like pimples and blackheads will haunt you for a long time.
- Wash your face with hot water and a mild soap or facial wash. Your choice of facial wash or soap should be one that has no artificial additives. Heavy cleansing soaps should be avoided. By washing your face properly, you can avoid clogged pores that cause pimples and blackheads from forming.
- Do not rub the soap directly on your face. This can cause clogged pores. Instead, rub the soap with your fingertips. Then, massage your face in an upward and outward manner with your soaped fingertips.
- Clean your face only twice or at most thrice each day. You need to keep your skin clean but over washing will cause overproduction of oils.
- Stay clear of facial products that are too harsh. These products can remove too much of the oil which will encourage flakiness. Your oil glands tend to work overtime when too much oil is removed because it will try to compensate for lost natural oils. Water-based products are better for oily skin.
- Use an oil-free moisturizer to keep your skin supple. You still need to maintain your skin’s moisture. But some moisturizers are oil-based which only add to your natural oils. Look for products that are oil-free in order to keep your complexion shine-free.
- Opt for oil-free makeup. Before you buy cosmetics, check the label and make sure that it is oil-free or is designed for oily-skin. As much as possible, don’t use make-up or go for light coverage only. This is to prevent the pores from getting clogged. Most importantly, remove your make-up as soon as possible with a mild make-up remover or facial wash. Never, ever sleep with make-up on! You can also look for a day cream that lessens oil production and use this before putting on make-up.
- Avoid foods that are considered oily and fatty. Fried foods are a no-no. Go easy on pork, chicken skin and other types of foods that are high in fats.
- Maintain a healthier lifestyle. Eat healthy meals, drink plenty of water, exercise, do not smoke (or stay away from smokers), avoid pollutants in the air, and as much as possible get the right amount of sleep.
There is an advantage to having oily skin. Experts have noticed that the skin of individuals with oily skin type ages slower as compared to those with other types of complexion. With the proper daily skin regimen, you can easily avoid the problems that oily skin can give you.