Dark circles and puffiness in the eyes appear because of old age, lack of sleep, lack of water, dryness of skin and of course, stress. To be able to control this, it is important for you to know that the skin in your under-eye and eyelids contain very few oil glands. This makes the skin there more susceptible to dryness, flakiness and even discoloration. Moreover, the muscles in the eye area also constantly move whenever you smile or laugh, so the tendency is for the sides of your eyes to crease. This can be disturbing at times, but you don't need to worry. There are a lot of ways to control this problem and here are some of the tips to brighten up your eyes.
- Drink a lot of water. You need water to hydrate your body and skin. This is very important because water can prevent puffiness when you wake up in the morning. Make sure to have at least 8 glasses of water daily. Avoid drinking diuretics, though, like alcoholic drinks and coffee, because these might contribute to dehydration.
- Use an eye-gel or eye cream. Before sleeping, it is important to apply eye-gel or an eye-cream around the eye area. However, you need to be careful in choosing an eye cream. It is important that the eye cream does not have or has very little water. The water content will further cause puffiness, so you need to check the label before buying. To help the cream penetrate your skin, you may place a chilled wash cloth over your eyes for about three to five minutes before applying the eye cream.
- Use a Concealer. To help camouflage the dark circles and creases in your eyes, it is best to apply a light concealer. Dab concealer on the dark areas, and make sure that the tone matches your skin color. The color or tone of the concealer is very important for it to blend around the eye.
- Use a light cream-based eye shadow. For puffy eyes, it is best to use a cream-based eye-shadow. Simply dab a thin layer of powder on your eyelid, then apply a light cream-based eye-shadow.
- Use white eye-liner. White, pearl or pink eye-liners will make your eye appear bigger. All you need to do is apply a thin layer inside the rim of your eyes. Make sure that the lower rim of your eye is properly outlined to create a better effect. Applying a white eye-liner will also help camouflage the redness of your eye.
- Use mascara. Applying mascara will elongate your lashes and will definitely help brighten your eyes. It is important to apply at least 2 coats, especially if you have thin lashes. You may also apply the mascara on-top and underneath to help thicken your lashes. Then, use a lash curler or a spoon to help bend your lashes.
Remember, the key to having healthy skin is a healthy and balanced diet, and enough sleep. But if your lifestyle doesn't let you get enough of these, you would have to use beauty products that will prevent dryness and flakiness of the skin.