A leather jacket is a type of jacket made from cowhide. It involves the tanning of the hide to make it stiff. Cowboys have used them for years in the Midwest. It offers great protection against the wind, which is the biggest enemy when it comes to keeping warm. For women, leather jackets have been popular since the 1960s and 1970s. A leather jacket is undoubtedly one of the best ways to keep yourself warm on chilly nights. If you want to buy a jacket, then this guide will help you.
- Environmental concerns. In a society that is going green, many people are becoming vegans or at least environmentally conscious. This has not come unnoticed especially in the world of fashion. Fake leather is a type of synthetic clothing made by boiling oil and linseed wax together with calico. Pleather, meaning plastic and leather, is another great substitute. However, not all leathers are the same.
- Original or fake? If you are a vegan or an environmentally conscious person who opposes animal cruelty, then fake leather is for you. PVC leather and Polyurethane leather are some of the safer, greener choices. However, a drawback of PVC leather is that it doesn’t ‘breathe’ meaning that the smells are locked there. It is also quite difficult to dry-clean since the cleaning solvents common in dry-cleaning react badly to the PVC, making it stiff.
- Softening. Cheap leather is stiff and takes a very long time to soften. Some even stay like that for five years! Find one that has softened already as it will save you the time and give you extra comfort.
- Fitting. Do not be fooled into thinking that a jacket might be a perfect fit for you outright. Since leather tends to shrink due to the oils and sweat our body gives out, buy one a size larger than yours. If you are worried, however, that it will look too baggy, it is suggested that you put on your thickest shirt and sweater and fit the jacket then. It will save you the trouble and frustration of having bought a small jacket with all your tightly packed clothes and gives you a leeway just in case you’ve overeaten.
- Coloring. Although most leather jackets are of a dark color, there are many jackets that have been dyed through artificial means by other colors. Although these colors are available, it is suggested that the color of your leather jacket be black or of a neutral color. These hues are more flexible in terms of style and most colors go well with them. If this is your first time buying a leather jacket, it is highly recommended that you buy the neutral or dark hue so you can easily mix and match your outfits. You can always buy differently colored leather jackets later, when you are more knowledgeable on the color scheme of your wardrobe.
Leather jackets, like most things, are no longer just a part of the male culture. Now, more and more women are wearing these fashionable outfits. They are also made to last due to the process they are subjected through, making them an item worth your money.