Carrie Bradshaw loves straw hats. She never goes without one especially when hitting the fabulous beaches of Mexico or the Bahamas with her friends, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda. She was even seen wearing a Straw Trilby Hat when she met Mr. Big outside a New York cathedral.
Now you can channel your inner Carrie Bradshaw style and go Sex and The City fashionable by buying your own straw hat!
But how do you begin? Here’s how:
1. Find out what kind of straw hat you want to be seen wearing. Yahoo Shopping, Amazon, Buy.Com, and Brands On Sale have a showcase of great finds starting at $4.99 up:
- Cowboy Hat from Century Novelty $12.99
- Shady Brady Stone Bead straw cowboy hat from Shepler’s Inc. $59.97
- Ecuador Pantropic from Travel Smith $39.00
- Nike Arizona State Sun Devils Summer from Nike $30.00
- L.L.Bean Straw Sun Hat from L.L. Bean $34.00
- Child Natural Straw Cowboy Hat-Royal from Amazon and Buy.Com $4.99
- Gambler Straw Hat from Brandsonsale.com $9.99
2. Consult fashion magazines like Vogue or Elle and get the lowdown on what’s hot and trendy when it comes to straw hats. You don’t have to buy the latest issue. You can visit their website and begin your search there.
3. Now that you have a basic idea of the styles and prices online, it’s time to gather your closest girlfriends ala Carrie Bradshaw and go vintage or flea-bargain shopping for straw hats. If you’re lucky, persistent and know where to look, you can find straw hats for less than $1.
4. Consider the shape of your face – round, oval, square, or heart-shaped? This will help in finding the right style and design that will enhance your facial shape and features.
5. Try on many sizes, colors, and designs as you like. Think about how you can mix and match your wardrobe to fit your straw hat. Though the straw hat is very popular on the beach, there is no rule that says you can’t use it when you’re in the city. As mentioned, the size, color, and design will spell a big difference when you want to make a fashion statement.
6. You might also want to consider the season that will dictate when it’s fashionable to wear a straw hat. Summer is a definite “Yes!” while winter is another matter altogether. If you are buying a straw hat during the winter season, you might be at a great advantage since this is an off-peak time. So go ahead and buy it but wait until it’s warm enough to wear it wherever you wish.
7. Keep your options open but take in your lifestyle and personality when choosing a straw hat. You can be plain Jane, embellished, printed, with a scarf, or a ribbon. Your options are limitless and so will your number of admirers.
8. Finally, you don’t need to hold it off any longer. Your straw hat is waiting. Make a decision and pay for your purchase. Keep the official receipt and warranty certificate.
Why, hello Miss Bradshaw!