It was Avril Lavigne who brought the Skateboard look to the MTV generation through her 2002 hit song “Skater Boy/Sk8er Boi.” Fast forward to 2009 and you would think that the Skateboard look has been forgotten along with the song, but nope, it has never left the building, folks. In fact, designer Marc Jacobs, Comme des Garçons, and other fashion houses organized a fashion spread for West/East magazine paying homage to the Skateboard look.
You can’t blame them really, the Skateboard look is not as disheveled as Grungewear, it’s close to it but in a very cool way, and it has most definitely crossed-over to Haute Couture judging from the West/East Spring/Summer issue.
If like these designers, you absolutely can’t say goodbye to Skateboard fashion, then here’s how to buy the clothes to create the look:
Feeling Frisky Punk Skater:
- High-cut Vans or Converse shoes in the classic style
- Worn-out looking Vintage Rock-Band T-Shirts that cling close to your skin
- Classic Levi’s Button-Fly 501s or Dickies Brand of jeans
- Variety of hoodies or hooded jackets
- Baseball cap worn backwards
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Skater:
- High-top shoes made by Nike, Adidas, or Reebok as long as it has air or gel in the soles
- Definitely ankle socks to go with the sneakers
- Mesh shorts, baggy pants, or low-riding denims
- Belt buckle
- Mesh wife-beaters combined with your favorite NBA jersey
- Skateboard beanie
Haute Couture Art-Lover Skater: Designer all the way!
- Black slim-fitting cigarette pants
- Black belt with statement buckle
- Blazer with the sleeves folded up to the elbows
- Plain white or graphic T-Shirt
- Classic Vans
- No socks,
- Full beanie
- Silver accessories.
Mastah Rastah Skater:
- I-Path Shoes only
- Black socks pulled up to full height
- No socks (optional)
- Layered baggy jeans rolled up over your ankles
- Ska T-Shirt
- Hoodie or sweatshirt
- Woven beanie that’s sort of similar to the one used by Bob Marley
- Ethnic multi-colored belt
- Ethnic beaded necklace
Plain Jane Skater:
- Cut-off baggy denims preferably Tommy Hil
- High-cut Vans or Converse
- Knee-high socks
- School team t-shirt or the name of your high school. Choose the Wilkesboro Elementary School T-Shirt that was made popular by Avril Lavigne for Sk8er Boi.
- Skateboard Company Hoodie
- Skateboard Company Cap
- Woven leather bracelets
Most of the Skateboard Ensemble can be bought from clothing warehouses, surplus shops, flea markets, vintage stores, and from the ever-reliable garage sale weekends in your neighborhood.
Dark, smudged eyeliner, neutral makeup on the rest of your face, black nail polish, a skateboard, and attitude will make this whole look come alive! Like they say, once a skater, always a Sk8er Boi!
Now you know that skating isn’t just for speed and flips, it’s definitely making its presence felt in fashion, too!