According to Ayurveda, you should not put something on your face that you cannot eat. That is the basic concept of choosing natural and mineral alternatives for cosmetics. Even without this basic concept, people today would still prefer the mineral makeup alternative. Skin rashes, pimples, and early aging are very common because of the traditional makeup that contains traditional and unhealthy ingredients. With mineral makeup, you can enhance the natural beauty of your face without the consequences.
Buying mineral makeup should be easy especially with the increasing demand for more natural and organic alternatives. However, it’s not always the case because even those stamped with “mineral makeup” label still have dangerous ingredients for the sensitive skin. Be guided when buying mineral makeup and follow the tips below:
- Beware of non-mineral ingredients. Even if the label says it is mineral, better be sure by checking the ingredients. There should be no bismuth, paraben, talc, bismuth oxychloride, dye, ferric ferrocyanide, or carmine. Talc can be an irritant and cause problems in the respiratory tract. Dyes are made from unhealthy coal tar. Bismuth can cause itching, breakouts, and rashes, especially for people who frequently sweat. Ferric ferrocyanide is suspected to be toxic while carmine is a fancy word for crushed beetles.
- Buy based on quantity and quality. Mineral makeup brands are more expensive than the traditional alternatives. But this does not mean that the most expensive is the best. Instead of judging the product by the price, judge it by the ingredients, quality, and quantity. Besides, why would you spend more than double if you can only get the same quality and more quantity at half the price?
- Try it. Cosmetic stores usually have the “Try Me” pieces. Use these to see if the makeup will cause irritation or if the makeup will last as how it says it will. If the free “Try Me” pieces are not available, better buy the trial packs of the makeup. Many companies are packing their products in small packages so you can try their products first. If the brand that you want does not have the “Try Me” and a trial pack, then better ask if it has guarantee. Some cosmetics are guaranteed not to cause irritation or your money back.
- Choose the right color for your skin tone. Mineral makeup also has varieties that traditional makeup offers. The former is also available in different colors for different skin tones. Choose the right color by trying on the product or seeking assistance from a customer representative.
- Buy offline. Although online buying is the trend, but buying mineral makeup is better done from the local stores. The makeup color is different on the monitor than in real life. Buy online only if you have seen and tried the makeup. Or else, you might regret buying the wrong makeup color.
- Get the right type of brush. Makeup brushes made out of synthetic materials don’t go well with mineral makeup. These brushes don’t hold the mineral powder well, which might result to uneven makeup. Large powder brushes are okay for finishing touches while the flat top brush is great for the foundation.
Investing on mineral makeup is not only about spending more money. It’s about trusting a brand to take care of your face. With wise choosing, you sure can find the perfect mineral makeup that will make you look beautiful without compromising your skin’s wellness.