Buying nail polish can sometimes be difficult. You pick out a great-looking color and bring it home to find out that it isn't anything like it appears to be in the bottle. This can make for a sad day. However, with a few good tips on how to buy nail polish, you can increase your nail polish collection with great colors that you really like!
Don't be afraid to pay for your polish. Sure you can find polish for less then $1, but this is one area that you often find quality in the price. This doesn't mean you need to buy a $10 bottle of polish for it to be good. However, be willing to spend more than a dollar on it as well. Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for.
Stick with brands you trust. Oftentimes, it is a good idea to stick with brands you trust. If they generally have high quality products, then you will most likely find that you like what you get. Sometimes you can try something new and see how you like it. If it is great, then you can add that brand to your buy list. On the other hand, if it is horrible, you can skip out and not buy additional colors from them.
Try it before you buy it. You can shake up the polish, open it and get a good idea of how it is going to look. Sometimes polish looks bright and exciting till you pull out the brush and find that the polish is actually thin and dull. You can also use your fingernail (or your grocery list) as a good place to give it a quick try. You shouldn't paint all your nails while picking out your favorite colors there in the polish aisle, but you can do a small test.
Choose colors that meet your needs. It is true that you may love the black or the yellow, but you do need to make sure that you will actually wear it. What will you wear it with? When will you wear it? Is it going to be something you can wear to work? These are all important questions to ask yourself. You don't want to spend money on something you aren't really going to use or that you will wear one time and then never wear again.
- Work or professional image-At times, we need to present a professional image. For this purpose, choose colors that are pale and neutral. Stick with pale pink, pale peach, or even clear for the perfect look.
- Date night-For going out on a date, you can choose bright and bold colors that make you feel (and look) sexy. Go with bright pinks, bold reds, and even deep wines or flashy metallics.
- Out on the town or weekend fun-For a night out (that isn't a date night), you can have a lot of fun with all those colors that are forbidden during the day. Choose your blues, greens, and yellows for these times.
- Holiday fun-Sometimes we just need a little fun and the holidays offer the perfect time to have fun with nail colors. Be patriotic and go red, white, and blue for the Fourth of July or choose red and green for Christmas. You can even go black and orange for Halloween!
- Choosing colors for your skin tone-We are all the same on the inside, but because we aren't the same on the outside, some colors look better on us. As a rule of thumb, those with pale skin tones should go with lighter colors. If you have an olive skin tone, go with darker colors that have hints of copper or orange in them. Those with dark skin tones should wear bold and bright colors such as burgundy, wine, and even gold. If you want a clue about what nail polish colors would look best, then take a look at your favorite lipstick and shirt colors. Usually the colors that look best on your lips and near your face will look best on your nails.
- Choosing colors by season-Seasons also lend themselves to certain colors. Spring is a good time to follow the colors of the blooming flowers. Summer is sunshine and sand. Go with colors of the beach, choosing tans, pinks, and even pale ocean colors such as blue and aqua. Fall has the richness of browns, deep reds, and even oranges. Finish winter with frosty colors as well as bold colors.
These are just a few guidelines. You can choose the colors you like best, because while some of it has to do with fashion and style, the rest has to do with who you are!
Be willing to go out on a limb. While you shouldn't be so crazy as to buy colors you won't actually wear, it is a good idea to try new things and to go out on a limb every now and again. If you are one who always wears shades of pale pink or lavender, then make sure you spice it up with something a little bolder every now and again. After all, you might just find your new favorite by trying something new!
Buying nail polish doesn't have to be a nightmare or a time of disappointment. You can find great colors in a wide range of prices. All you need to do is spend a little time choosing your colors and you are sure to find a wide range of things that you really like!