Regular steam facials are beneficial for the skin. The deep cleansing action of the steam loosens dirt and oils that have clogged the pores. Steam facials can greatly improve the skin’s appearance and make your skin glow. It also boosts circulation; brings oxygen to your facial area and rehydrates your skin.
Steaming will open your pores so it will be easier to rid your face of unwanted blemishes and deep dirt. Here are follow up methods to care for your skin after a steam treatment.
- Apply facial mask. Applying a facial mask right after a steam treatment will facilitate the removal of dirt and oil deposits that have been clogging your pores. Depending on the type of facial mask you are using, leave it on for 15 minutes or until the mask dries before you rinse it off with warm water and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Remove comedones. You can easily remove blackheads, whiteheads and pimples (comedones) right after steaming. To remove comedones, wrap both of your index fingers with tissue. Apply gentle pressure with you index fingers on both sides of the comedones and lightly squeeze. Disinfect your face with some tonic before you apply moisturizer.
- Exfoliate. If there are no comedones that you want to remove, exfoliate after the steam treatment to remove dead skin cells, oil and make up build up. Splash your face with warm water. Squirt about a quarter-sized amount of liquid facial soap on your palm and add some sugar to make a thick paste. Use less sugar if you have sensitive skin. Gently massage the paste on your face in circular motion, avoiding the delicate eye area, for about three minutes. Rinse off with warm water and pat your face dry.
- Moisturize. Moisturize your face after exfoliation to keep it soft, resilient and wrinkle-free. Peel and grate a whole apple and mix it with five tablespoons of honey. Apply the mixture all over your face and leave it on for ten minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. If your face is very dry, apply olive oil over your face. Do not rinse.
- Massage. For mature skin, and for all skin types, massage your face with a few drops of avocado or apricot kernel oil starting from your forehead down to your chin and your neck. This will keep your skin softly moist.
- Apply sunscreen. The exfoliation had removed dead skin cells and a new layer has been exposed. To protect this new skin layer from the harmful rays of the sun, you have to put sunscreen with a rating of SPF 15 or higher.
Steam treatment is very effective in thoroughly cleaning the skin. You can do steam treatment once a week or every month as needed. Those with sensitive skin, skin with rashes and irritations and those with acne should limit steam treatment and wait for the condition to improve. The heat from the steam might further aggravate the condition of sensitive skin. Totally clean skin will also be prone to breakouts.