Hair is personal and makes a statement. Your hairstyle is central to the first impression you make when you meet someone new. A ponytail with stragglers hanging everywhere makes you seem casual or lazy while a fancy up do will make the opposite statement. If you are ready for a change, follow these steps so you can choose a new hairstyle.
- Know what you want in a style. Don't start hunting styles until you know what you need in a hairstyle. Will you be pulling your hair up to head to the gym? Do you hate hair hanging in your face? Are you willing to spend time on your style or would you prefer a wash and go style? The answers to these questions should be part of your decision making through the rest of the steps.
- Look at your facial structure. Different looks complement different face shapes. Before you decide you want a hairstyle to match your favorite celebrity style, consider if your face shape is similar to your idol's. If your face is square or angular then you can soften the look with long layers or curls. A round shape will be better complemented with an angular cut or sharp bangs. Spend some time in front of the mirror to determine your face shape then start researching the looks that best highlight your features.
- Brainstorm your options. Collect magazines and hunt websites for hairstyles that look interesting. Build up a collection so you have between five and ten options. Then compare those options with the results of steps one and two. You should still have a few styles options left to choose from.
- Try a virtual style. There are several websites available that allow you to load a photo and try on new hairstyles virtually. Try a Google search to find these sites. Some are free while others charge a membership fee so search around until you find the site that meets your needs.
- Talk to your stylist. Stylists don't just cut hair, they create looks. Take two or three ideas to your stylist and talk about them. Get his or her input on the look that will work best for you. The stylist might also help you determine how much work will be required to maintain the look you want. So take your stylist's advice seriously. Without approval from the stylist, no look will ever be cut and styled just the way you want it.
- Take the plunge and experiment. Remember that it is only hair and it will grow back. So once you think you have the style you want, go ahead and try it. If you hate it, you can grow it out. Try a positive attitude; you might just love your new ‘do.
Choose your new hairstyle with some simple steps. Deciding on a new style can add some zip in your step and motivate you to make other inspired changes in your life.