Putting on makeup is a challenge for all women. With a lot of different colors out in the market, women are confused about what color they should use. The best way to choose makeup color is to determine your skin tone and take note of the color of your eyes, and choose among the complementary colors that match your skin tone and eyes.
- Determine your skin tone. There are two tones: warm and cool. If your skin has a hint of pink in it, you have a cool skin tone. If your skin is yellowish to dark brown, then you have a warm skin tone.
- Choose the color that complements your skin tone. For your cheek color, choose those that has pink as a base color if you have a cool skin tone. If you have warm skin tone, then a blush on that has an orange base is best for you.
- Choose eye makeup color based on the color of your eyes. The color wheel has all major colors arranged in a way that groups together those that are under the warm and cool undertone categories. The opposite sides of the wheel are the complimentary colors. Depending on the color of your eyes, choose the complimentary colors. However, this is also tricky. Some complimentary colors are so strong and are in total contrast to your eye color that it is not practical to use. For example, you do not use red eye shadow for green eyes. But an eye makeup that has a red base, such as pink or old rose will look good with green eyes. For a quick fix, use any color with a brown base. This will look good on any eye color.
- Add some emphasis on your eyes by using eyeliner and mascara. Use brown if you have fair complexion and light colored hair, and dark brown to black if you have a dark complexion and dark colored hair.
- Shimmer, metallic and golden eye makeup look good for evening events. Silver and metallic white eye shadow blend well on blue and black eyes, while golden and yellow metallic eye shadow compliment brown and hazel eyes.
- Select a lipstick that will compliment your skin tone and hair color. If you are fair skinned with blonde hair, light pink and sheer lip color will look good. If you are a brunette, you have a wide range of lip color to choose from – pink to dark red will look good depending on your clothes and the occasion. If you have dark skin, also use dark color for your lipstick, and avoid anything that has a hint of orange. Red and plum will look good on dark skin. For even darker skin and ethnic skin tones, berry and plum are best.
The easiest way to choose colors for you is to look at fashion magazines and look for models with a similar skin tone, hair color and eye color. Take note of their makeup and clothes, and you can imitate them. Practice putting on makeup at home and see what works for you.