When you find that perfect pair of cowboy boots that fit you well and looks good, you will want to use it forever. Naturally, you would do anything to maintain its shape, color and fit for as long as you can. This can be achieved by regular cleaning, and proper care. Here are some tips to keep your perfect cowboy boots in tip-top condition for a very long time.
- Clean it regularly. As much as possible, clean your boots regularly. After using it at the end of the day, inspect your boots to get rid of the loose dirt that has accumulated. Simply take a soft cloth, moisten it with water and rub it gently over the dirty part. Going through this routine regularly will prevent stubborn and tough stains from forming on your cowboy boots.
- Take out the leather oil. In reality, cleaning your boots every time you are done using them is just not possible, and more often than not, those tough dirt stains will start to form on your boots. This is natural, and all you have to do is take a few drop of leather oil, and apply on a damp cloth. Use the cloth to rub away the dirt. Oil softens dirt away, and makes it easier for you to rub your boots clean. The oil also leaves a protective coat to your cowboy boots, making it more difficult for dirt to accumulate.
- Condition your boots. Like your hair, your cowboy boots need to be conditioned regularly to prevent damage to your boots. Conditioning your boots every six months will prevent the leather from drying and eventually, cracking. You can look for a lanolin-based conditioner and use this to keep your boots soft. When you apply the conditioner, make sure that your cowboy boots are clean and completely dry. Add a second layer of conditioner if you feel that your boots need more moisture in them, or if they haven’t been conditioned for longer than six months.
- Water-seal your boots. Although most cowboy boots are protected already with a water sealant, you can never be too careful when it comes to protecting your beloved boots. At least once every year, apply a water sealant that is made especially for protecting leather. The sealant will prevent water from soaking into your leather, leaving it untouched and beautiful, no matter what the weather conditions.
- Polish your boots. While polishing your cowboy boots isn’t really necessary, having a Boot Cream handy will surely be a good thing. Who knows, you might need to attend a formal event where you need to look extra polished. Just apply boot cream with the included shine cloth, and apply on your boot in even, gentle strokes.
Caring for your boots may take a bit of an effort, but it will be well worth it. Just make sure that you apply the conditioners and polishes in even strokes, and that you never ever dry your boots near a heater or a heat vent. Just let them dry naturally, away from any heat source, and you will have cowboy boots that are perfect all-year round.