Rubies are known for their clarity and durability. They can go head to head with a diamond in terms of value. The most significant aspect used in determining the value of this gemstone is by examining its color. Pigeon blood is the term used to describe a perfect ruby because of its fiery red luster.
Since rubies are prized for their appearance, proper cleaning should be done to gain full benefits from the gemstone. Here are some of the ways that can lead you to a striking rough ruby of high value.
- Give it a nice dip. Get a bowl and mix a quarter of cold water and three quarters of warm water. This will produce lukewarm water suitable for the role of breaking up the existing dirt and oil on your ruby. Allot one hour for your ruby to stay submerged.
- Secure the drain. Once the ideal time has lapsed get the ruby from the lukewarm water and rinse it lightly using warm running water. If you choose to do this on a sink, make sure that the drain is plugged accordingly. You don’t want a piece of fortune to be drained away from you.
- Make sure it’s certified. If you think you’ve succeeded in removing dirt and oil from your rough ruby it’s time that it undergoes proper washing. Make a soapy water solution in a clean bowl. You can use either a dish soap or commercial jewelry cleaner. When you opt to choose the commercial cleaner you have to make sure that it is non-abrasive in nature and that it is specifically certified for ruby cleaning. Unapproved cleaners can bring about devastating effects like discoloration and cracking.
- No exaggerations. Keep in mind that damaging your precious gemstone won’t do you any good. Therefore when scrubbing your rough ruby make use of a brush with soft bristles. The ideal tool here is a toothbrush. Make sure that even if you are equipped with the softest of bristles do not exaggerate the scrubbing to prevent unwanted scratches on the surface of the ruby.
- Finish it up nicely. After the scrubbing you are sure to find impurities all over your rough ruby. Use warm water to rinse them off. Afterwards use a soft cloth in blotting.
- Isolation for safety. Rubies are second only to diamonds when it comes to durability so it would be better to store them separately. Placing them together with your other jewelries may cause damage.
- Polish for a nice finish. You can utilize a gem cleaner to make a soapy solution in a bowl. Common gem cleaners include Jewelry Cleaner and Blitz Gem. Note that it’s better off using bowls to clean rubies and other gems instead of sinks. Liquid anti-bacterial hand wash can be a good alternative for polishing your ruby. Use a toothbrush to scrub the ruby gently. Get another bowl filled with cold water. You’re going to use it to rinse your ruby. Make sure that all soap residues are removed. Pat dry using a soft cloth and store accordingly.
Rubies are adorable gems that can tell two stories. The first one is about the beauty and elegance of God’s creation while the second is about the passion and dedication a person is willing to offer for a fitting reward.