It is more advantageous to use synthetic wigs than natural wigs. Synthetic wigs are easier to clean since they dry faster and hold their shape and style longer. Synthetic wigs have a preset style that requires less time to restyle and shape. They are cooler and lighter to wear, especially during the hot summer months. Since synthetic fibers are used on the wigs, their color does not change when exposed to the sun. They cost less and are easily available in the market.
Even if a synthetic wig is inexpensive and easily available, you still need to maintain and properly care for your synthetic wig to make it last longer. You can do the following to clean your synthetic wig:
- Purchase a shampoo formulated specifically for synthetic wigs. Do not use a regular hair shampoo on a synthetic wig.
- Before washing your synthetic wig, lightly brush it with a wire brush or wig pick. Never use a regular hairbrush on your synthetic wig since it can damage the fibers. Untangle knots that have accumulated on wavy wigs or straight ends. Gently pick the knots apart by starting from the hair ends, working your way to the top. You may use leave on or spray-on wig detanglers or conditioners as needed.
- Fill up a basin big enough to soak your wig, with cool water. Never use hot water in cleaning a synthetic wig.
- Mix a capful of shampoo to the cool water. If your synthetic wig emits a foul odor, add a teaspoon of baking soda to the solution.
- Soak the wig in the shampoo and water solution for about a minute, until the wig is saturated.
- Gently wash off stains or dirt until the wig is clean.
- Put the wig back in the shampoo solution and leave it soaked for around 20 minutes.
- Take the wig out of the solution and carefully rinse off the shampoo with clean cool water.
- Gently squeeze out the excess water from the wig, avoiding twisting or wringing the wig to prevent damage.
- Periodically condition your synthetic wig by spraying on or applying wig hair conditioner after cleaning and before doing the final rinse.
- Spread the synthetic wig out on a dry towel and gently blot the wig dry.
- Make sure the synthetic wig is completely dry before styling. Never restyle a wet wig. Use a wig pick to style your wig.
Here are some reminders:
- Store your newly cleaned wig on a wig stand especially when it is not being worn. A wig stand best helps to maintain your wig’s style and form.
- A synthetic wig is supposed to be washed after it is worn 15-20 times. If your wig is frequently washed, you may be shortening its life.
- Keeping your own hair clean under your wig, can reduce the number of times you will need to wash your wig.
- Regularly have your wig styled by a professional to keep its form.
- If proper synthetic wig care and maintenance is done, your synthetic wig can last a lifetime!
- Have a back-up wig to use if you wear a wig everyday to have an alternate while you wash your other wig.
- You can re-style your synthetic wig when you wear it. Gently use your fingers and a wig pick.