Ugg Boots are a type of shoe from Australia that is made of wool and sheepskin. These are very soft and comfortable and can keep your feet very warm. These are popular in the fall and winter months.
Here’s how to clean your Ugg Boots.
- Spray the boots with special water and stain repellant when you first get your boots. These can be purchased where you buy your Ugg shoes or any shoe store. The brand Ugg sells is Ugg Water and Oil Repellant Spray. This will help keep your shoes clean as you wear them.
- When spraying the boots, shake the can first then spray about a foot away from the surface. Saturate the boot with the spray and make sure all surfaces are covered.
- Do not soak your Ugg boots in water. Ugg boots are not machine washable.
- Treat stains first. If there are oil or grease stains you want to take out, don’t brush harshly. This will only push the oil further in the fibers of your shoe. Instead, use a piece of white chalk and scrape some chalk dust off the chalk onto the boot. Leave the chalk on the boot for a few minutes. The chalk will absorb the oil and grease stain. Then you may blow out the chalk dust or wipe off gently with a sponge or piece of cloth.
- Gentle hand washing is best for cleaning your boots. Brush the nap of the boots to remove any dried up dirt. With a damp cloth moistened with cold water, rub the surface of your shoes in gentle circular motions.
- Do not use bleach, laundry detergent or other cleansers on your Ugg footwear. Try a shampoo solution. Mix a little bit of baby shampoo with some water to make a soap solution. You may use an old toothbrush or cloth to rub the shampoo mixture onto the sheepskin. Rinse the shoes by wiping it down with cold water.
- Dry your boots under the shade or in a warm room. Do not put your boots in the clothes dryer or next to a space heater or dry under direct sunlight. This will damage your footwear and cause it to shrink. Dry your boots upside down on a boot hanger if you have one.
- Stuff your boots with newspapers or paper towels to retain its shape. This will also help absorb any bad smells. If your boots smell bad, put a few tablespoons of baking soda inside your shoes.
- When dry, brush the nap with a suede brush or lint roller to make it look new again.
- Re-spray your boots generously with your water and stain repellant. Now that you got your boots clean, you want to seal it to protect it again.
- Avoid wearing your Ugg boots in heavy rain and snow. Avoid muddy areas. The best way to keep your boots clean is to prevent them from getting too dirty in the first place.
Clean your Ugg boots regularly so the stains and dirt don't build up. They will be easier to clean if you maintain your boots properly. Caring for your footwear will only take a little time, but you can enjoy them for years to come.