Turning your jet black hair an ash brown color will result in a reddish-colored hair. If you want to change the color of your hair and achieve the best ash brown color that it can, you could actually do it by yourself by simply buying hair coloring materials rather than visiting a hair salon.
Changing the color of your hair is easy to do. It is just important that you prepare all the necessary things and at the same time know the right way to do so. Here are some steps to change your black hair into ash brown or to whatever color you want it to be:
- Your hair must be in good condition. Before putting chemicals in your hair, be sure that you have not recently straightened or curled your hair. If you have, it is best to wait for a few weeks to prevent further damage to your hair. Before coloring your hair, always make sure that your hair is in the best shape and is as healthy as possible.
- Use a pre-lightener. A pre-lightener is a tool to remove the color away. If you have tried to put color in your hair in the past weeks or months, this will help bring back the natural color of your hair. It would make it simply follow the instructions on the box of pre-lightener. Whenever you use it, make sure that you are applying evenly on every strand of your hair. Some would use bleach to lighten their hair first. This might result in orange hair afterwards, though, depending on the strength of the bleach used.
- Purchase the ash brown color that you want to use. There are a lot of brands and a wide range of colors that you may want to choose from, ranging from light ash brown to medium ash brown to dark ash brown. If your hair is long, it will be a good precautionary measure to buy more than one package to ensure that the color will fully cover your hair.
- Wear old clothes before putting color to your hair. This will prevent dye from dripping on your new clothes. In the course of your coloring, you might get one or two drops on your clothes. The stain that comes from the color chemical is hard to remove which is why it’s best to wear old clothes.
- The process of coloring your hair will take about 30-45 minutes. After you’re done applying the color, rinse your hair with water until your hair is clear of any chemicals. Then use a conditioner afterwards.
It is normal that your hair will turn to a funny color, it is because of the pre-lightening. It is necessary to perform the allergy test for hair color 48 hours in advance even if you’ve colored your hair before. It is best if you choose a good brand for hair color to guarantee positive results for your hair. If your hair turned to a dark red color, try to use medium ash brown or you may try a darker shade.