Although makeup looks different with each individual, there is a makeup style that is different from all the rest. This is called avant garde makeup. Avant garde is a French term that refers to all things unique, new, and innovative. In makeup, avant garde applies to artistic makeup that uses bright rainbow colors, dramatic styles, use of other medium like gems and feathers. Avant garde makeup is typically seen in runways and glossy fashion spreads, and is not recommended for everyday wear because of the amount of time it takes to create. You can, however, experiment with avant garde makeup when you have a big party to attend, or when you simply feel like playing with your makeup palate.
Here’s how you can create fun rainbow eye makeup.
- First, you’re going to need an eye makeup palate with more than ten rainbow color shades. The Sephora Brand Ultimate Blockbuster palate has all sorts of fun colors for all sorts of looks, not just avant garde makeup. The Coastal Scents 88 palate does the trick as well.
- You’re also going to need makeup brushes so the colors will blend properly.
- Add foundation and concealer all over your face and blend with a brush.
- Then, put some eye shadow base or a primer like Shadow Insurance. If you don’t, all the colors will smear by the end of the day (or night).
- Now you’re ready to put colors on the crease or brow bone! For the sake of this tutorial, pick out the colors hot pink, orange, green, blue, and purple.
- Put some of the hot pink eye shadow onto your brush. Beginning with the brow bone, make a straight line all the way to your eyelid. Make sure you put a lot of color on your brush, as it won’t look as heavy and vibrant as it does on the makeup palate.
- Do the same for the orange eye shadow, followed by the green, blue, and then purple. Your eye lid should look like a rainbow after applying all the colors.
- To smoothen it out, blend upwards gently and to the side. This will give your eye makeup a more continuous look rather than just big blocks of color.
- Apply white eye shadow across your brow bone. This will highlight your eyebrows, give your makeup a more clean appearance, and blends the colors better.
- Place a bright color like light blue on the top of your eyelid.
- Finish off with black eyeliner and mascara.
For a more whimsical look, try using electric blue or green eyeliner instead of black. Skip the tenth step if you decide to do this.
You can also finish off the look by applying black liquid eyeliner on your upper lash line.
For an intense, dramatic look, you can put on fake lashes or attach gems on the corner of your eyes
For a more intense overall look, apply bold and unusual on your lips.