A gypsy costume is one of the easiest costumes to put together. You don’t even need to go out and buy one! Most of the items may be easily found in your very own closet, or in thrift shops.
A gypsy costume is great for any age. It’s popular for Halloween and for other costume parties. It’s fun, inexpensive and easy to put together. Here’s how to do it.
- Browse through the Internet to get ideas. You may also go to costume stores just to get ideas on the layering of the outfit. For kids, you can use a picture of Esmeralda from Disney’s Hunchback of Notre Dame as a guide.
- Once you have the basic idea, start rummaging through your closet to find what you need. Look for a ruffled white blouse. If you can find one that’s off shoulder, that would be more perfect. It adds a little sexiness and mysterious aura to your ensemble.
- Find a long skirt with many layers. If you don’t have one long skirt, wear 2 flowing skirts of varied lengths at the same time. The different patterns will just give it the vagabond look and make your costume more interesting. The more colorful your skirt, the better. Put on either black tights or leggings underneath your skirts.
- If you really want to change your look, find a long black curly haired wig. This is optional but is a fun way to really add authenticity to your costume.
- Get a bright scarf and wrap it around your waist. This will be your belt. Try and see if another scarf works well around your head. Pick something in a solid color. Tie it around your head like a fortuneteller or like a headband and see which suits you better. You don’t want to look like a pirate.
- A fringed shawl around your shoulders would be a great addition. If you don’t have one, see if you can find a vest. If neither option is available, it’s alright.
- Accessorize with big jewelry. Get out your chunky pieces and layer in on. A long necklace with an interesting pendant is great to wear. Put on several bangles around your wrists. Put an ankle bracelet on. Clip on big hoop earrings. If you don’t have, hoop earring, see if big chandelier earrings work. Stay away from diamonds and other valuable pieces. You want your jewelry to be chunky, colorful and playful.
- Add makeup. For little kids, you can skip this part. For grownups, use liner on your eyes to define them. Smokey sultry eyes are perfect. Add some blush to your cheeks and a bold color lipstick for your lips.
- For shoes, wear sandals. If you don’t have sandals, go with flip flops. If you want to come as a sexy gypsy, wear black tights and black lace up stiletto boots.
A gypsy costume is one of the most comfortable and easiest costumes you can wear. Have fun!