Nail art takes the manicure to a whole new level.
Today there is an entire spectrum of different options available for nail art, from simple two color coats to use of stickers or rhinestones. Nail art can complement an outfit and show style even for women who don’t really like dressing up. You can learn the concepts behind any good design - including nail art design - by taking online art courses.
You can have your nail art done in a salon, or you can do it yourself at home!
Here is how you can paint a martini glass with rhinestone detail onto your nails.
- You will need a base coat, a dark base color, a light color for the martini glass, small rhinestones, and a toothpick.
- If you haven’t had a manicure yet, do so before painting your nails; otherwise, it won’t look as neat and sleek. Push back your cuticles, file your nails, and finish off with a good soak. Dry your hands completely before you get started.
- Apply a base coat. The base coat is important because it promotes healthy growth of nails even with nail polish on it. A base coat is usually clear white and can be easily bought at drug stores and department stores.
- Now you’re ready to apply a dark base color. I used dark purple as my base. Apply two coats of your base color onto your nails, covering it completely. If you don’t know how to apply nail polish, begin with a long vertical stripe at the center, then slowly fill out the sides.
- Wait for the nail polish to dry before attempting the second coat. Never blow on your nails to speed up the drying process as this will cause air bubbles to form.
- Once your two coats are dry, you’re ready to start painting the martini glass. It’s better to do one fingernail at a time because you’ll need to put in the rhinestones as the nail polish dries. I chose white nail polish for this one, but you can use any color as long as it is shades lighter than your base color.
- Draw a thin, straight vertical line on the center of your fingernail, much like in the third step, except you won’t be filling out the sides completely.
- From the center of the line, draw a diagonal line towards the tip of your fingernail. Repeat with the other side so that you achieve a triangle. The end effect should look like a peace sign.
- Fill in all the gaps within the triangle.
- Use a toothpick to pick up the rhinestones and place them onto the white nail polish.
- Repeat steps 6 – 10 for the rest of your fingernails.
- Remove any nail polish that might have gone past the nail area with a Q-tip dipped in nail polish remover.
You can also skip using the white nail polish and start applying the rhinestones onto the dark nail polish to create the shape of a martini glass. Be creative and use different-colored rhinestones! If you've decided that designing nail art is the job for you, consider enhancing your new knowledge with a few online art courses.