If you’re attending a costume party, you might be wondering which character you’d be. Why not consider going as a showgirl? The good thing about this is it’s fairly easy to create a showgirl costume even with the most basic of materials. Mostly, what you’d need for people to correctly identify you as a showgirl is tons of make-up, jewelry (even the fake stuff) and feathers. Plus, if you’re not the type to wear revealing outfits during ordinary occasions then this might be your chance to show a different side to your personality. With all that being said, here are some tips to help you create a showgirl costume:
- Your dress. As mentioned, you really wouldn’t need to spend a lot to put together your showgirl costume. Start with a basic outfit that would serve as your costume’s “base.” This could be a leotard, a swimsuit, a bodysuit or even an ordinary plain dress. The two important qualifications for your base outfit are the following: it should be in a plain, solid color (so you could easily add on decorations and embellishments) and it should fit you very well (think skintight). Once you have your base outfit, the fun begins. Sew on embellishments such as beads, sequins, pearls and feathers. It doesn’t even have to be in a strictly organized or planned manner. The whole point here is to add sparkle and pizazz to your outfit. To add the most punch to your outfit, make sure that your embellishments are mostly shiny and shimmery. For the bottom of your costume, some of your options include tights, colored stockings and fishnet tights. If you’re on the conservative side, you could wrap around your waist a shimmery cloth (or you could also wear a skirt) that complements your top or headdress.
- Your headdress. Another essential to your costume is your headdress. You could choose to rent a headdress from specialty stores and costume stores, or you could make a very simple headdress starting with a tiara. Just embellish the tiara with lots of feathers and colorful rhinestones.
- Your make-up. Three words: Tons of makeup. Think false eyelashes, lots of shimmery eyeshadow, foundation, and lipstick. Think drag queen, and dazzle everybody with your colorfully flamboyant face.
- Your jewelry. You wouldn’t have to spend too much for this; in fact, since you’re going to a costume party, the tackier, the better! Wear fake pearl necklaces, big drop earrings, anything you can get your hands on to make a statement that you are a flashy Vegas showgirl.
- Your shoes. Wear silver stiletto heels and you’re all set!
There you have it! These are just some tips to help you put together a showgirl costume. Here’s a word of caution though: you’ve got to make sure that you’d be comfortable wearing this whole ensemble, since being able to pull this off means you should have the attitude to wear this. Plus, if you are going to a costume party with your colleagues or bosses, maybe you can reconsider going as a showgirl. Maybe you could go as a pilgrim, instead? Good luck!