A twist bun is an informal hairstyle for women with long hair that can be done in a hurry. It keeps the hair away from the nape during warm and hot weather and keeps the hair neat and tidy throughout the day and away from the face.
It is a more relaxed hairstyle that can be done loosely as compared with the restrictive, tight style of a ponytail. Though a casual hairstyle, a twist bun can still be good for an informal gathering with a few accessories. Below are the steps on how you can create a twist bun.
- Shampoo and dry your hair as usual. Brush it all back or do a side part.
- Gather your hair into a pony with your left hand. Keep the hair smooth over your head by combing it as you gather. If you have hair of even length and you want a more casual style, rake your fingers along the length of the length of your hair starting from the front and gather at the middle of your nape. Hold the pony with your left hand.
- Using your right hand, begin to loosely twist the pony until you reach the end of your hair.
- Still using your right hand while the left hand is holding the base of the pony, wrap the twisted hair around the base in a clockwise fashion once or twice depending on your hair length. The loop should be formed between your left hand and your head.
- Secure the ends of your hair through the loop and pull it slightly tight.
- Tuck the ends under the outside loop or secure them with a few hairpins.
- Pull a few strands of hair near your temples for a casual, flirty elegance.
- The twist bun does not need to be just at the base of your skull. You can make it at the back of your head of the length permits it. You can also pull it up and make the twist bun a little higher to expose more of your nape. This style looks particularly nice on a woman with a long neck.
- Use a variety of gilded clips and those decorated with rhinestones that will be suitable for after-office casual gatherings. You can also use a pair of decorated and tasseled hairsticks to secure your twist bun.
- For those with an average length of hair, just grazing the shoulders or slightly beyond the shoulders, you can still create a twist bun. Detangle your dry hair by combing it with a wide toothed comb.
- Spritz it with some water until it is damp. You can add a bit of styling gel or mousse to control frizz. Gather your hair at the base of your head and secure it with an elastic hair tie.
- Twist the hair tightly with your right hand and wrap it around the base. Secure the loop as you wrap with hair clips driven thru several strands of hair along the outside of the loop towards the base. Tuck the end under the loop that has been form and secure with a few hair clips.
- Use a bit of hair spray to keep the short hair strands from escaping or secure the bun with a hair net or a chignon clasp.
Twist buns look quite good on women of any age, with several variations. Messier twist buns are suited for young girls and while a more sexy and wispy twist bun sis suitable for young women. It can be worn for a casual night, decorated for a more formal evening or a casual twist bun to keep the hair out of your eyes and neck while you do housework, workout and keeping cool during hot summer days.