Loose sexy curls are universally flattering. They add body to hair and can glam up your look from day to night in an instant. If you want to create loose curls, you will need to prepare some tools such as a large barrel curling iron, some mousse, a sectioning comb, hair clamps and long lasting hold hair spray.
Here’s how to create loose curls with a curling iron.
- If you want to put your hair up or create body, it’s actually best you not shampoo your hair on the day of your event. The extra oils in your hair will help hold up the style. However, if you can’t stand your dirty hair, do quick shampoo using a volumizing formula. Condition the hair quickly avoiding the roots and just focusing on the tips. Don’t use a heavy product or it will weight down your hair.
- Use a wide tooth comb or finger comb your hair to remove tangles. Dry your hair till damp. Apply a little bit of volumizing mouse or setting lotion through your hair, focusing on the roots, not the tips. Pat it down with a towel or use the cold setting of your blow dryer. If you want to add body to your hair, flip your head and blow dry your hair upside down.
- When your hair is damp, divide it into sections. You can choose to part your hair in the middle or on the side. Divide your hair in one to two inch sections. Twist the hair and secure the sections with a clip or clamp.
- Preheat the curling iron. Do not use the highest setting. Read your curling iron instructions carefully before using. When it is ready, these will either be a green light indicator, or you will see some steam coming off the iron.
- Start with one section. Unravel one section of the hair and start twirling it around the barrel of the curling iron. The curling iron should be held vertically on one hand so your hair will come out as ringlets. Do not make the hot curling iron touch your scalp. Stop an inch away. Leave it on the curling iron for about 40 seconds.
- When you release the curling iron, let go of the clamp and pull the iron away from your head in a downward motion. Your curls should look like chunks or barrels of curls. Don’t touch it yet.
- Repeat the process for your entire head if you want curls all over. If you want just the hair framing your face, then you may stop as soon as you get enough sections done.
- Do not brush out the curls. Instead, run your fingers gently through your hair so separate the curls but maintain the shape and volume. This will give your hair a more natural look.
- Finish off by spraying with a long lasting hold hair spray to set your hair in place.
There you have it! Soft, sexy and long lasting curls!