Makeup bags are pretty and practical gifts any girl would appreciate receiving. Whether given away or kept as a personal item, it will always be put to good use. Not only is it great for holding cosmetics but you could also utilize it to carry other items such as cell phones, some pieces of jewelry, or a few other toiletries as well. You can find these little bags on sale almost everywhere coming in a variety of colors, shapes, and designs. However, it would be so much fun to do it yourself. Not only will you be saving some money but also you give it that personal touch that is uniquely yours. Here are some steps to follow when making your very own makeup bag:
- The fun part is choosing your own fabrics. Try to pick ones that are a bit sturdier than others, to be able to withstand the weight of contents you intend to put into the bag. You may also want to pick fabrics that would complement your handbag, whether in color or design. You could also choose two types of coordinating material that coordinate with each other. One will be used for your bag’s exterior and the other for its interior. 22” by 10” would be good enough.
- Begin your project by creating a pattern first. Use pattern paper or any other paper that you normally use for pattern making. Cut two rectangles, one measuring 9.5”x15,” and the other measuring 4”x4.5”. Your small rectangle must be folded in half two times. The open edge must be rounded to create curved corners. These rectangles will now serve as your patterns when cutting your chosen fabric.
- Begin cutting your fabrics. Cut out your bigger rectangle piece from each of your fabrics. Cut out two of your smaller rectangular pieces from each of your fabrics as well.
- Use fusible interfacing on your fabric where you intend to place the lining on your makeup bag. When doing this, read the instructions of the manufacturer. In the absence of fusible interfacing, simply baste your interfacing with a ¼” seam allowance on the lining.
- Cut your zipper to the appropriate length. Hand-sew around the zipper’s teeth to keep it securely locked. Lay a piece of your exterior fabric piece facing upward. Lay your zipper facing down onto the fabric’s top edge. Set the zipper at the center of both upper edges that you have lined up.
- Place your inner fabric piece facing down. Align your top edges on your fabric and begin to sew down the edge. Repeat the procedure on the other side with your remaining fabric pieces.
- Fold your fabric in such a way that your zipper is centered and the outer fabrics are placed with their pattern surfaces together. Do the same procedure with your inner fabric.
- Open up your zipper halfway and start sewing each of the sides leaving a half inch seam allowance. Make sure to leave an opening below the liner of about 5 inches. Put in your hand through the opening and make a small triangle by folding down the corners at the bottom of your bag’s exterior fabric. Sew across the triangle’s flat edge in a straight light on both corners. Snip off both ends and turn the bag inside-out. Sew on the liner on the makeup bag. Your makeup bag will now have a flat bottom that will sit anywhere you place it.
There are a lot of variations and styles you can come up with when you create your own makeup bag. This will all depend on your personal preferences. Using your creativity, you will surely be happy with the outcome of your project whether presenting it as a gift, or keeping it for yourself.