One of the best things about being a girl is the fun you can have with accessories. Whether your hair is long, short, straight or curly, a girl can use a variety of hair accessories to express her personality or make a fashion statement.
There’s no need to spend a lot of money on buying more and more barrettes, bands and clips. Design your own pieces to make truly unique and fashionable girls hair accessories.
- Decide what you want to make. Do you want to create a funky hair band or a hair tie? Do you want to add decorations to a hat? Is there a bobby pin that you want to accessorize? You can add details to just about all hair accessories so let your imagination run free.
- Gather your materials. You will need a basic hair accessory. Choose from a headband, scrunchy, banana clip, bobby pin, barrette, hat or bandana. This is what you will work on. Prepare a glue gun and a thread and needle. You’ll also need a pair of scissors. Finally, bring out the decorations you want to attach to the hair accessory. Decorations can be beads, sequins, ribbons, feathers, lace, crystals and whatever else you can think of. If you don’t have any on hand, go to the craft store and take your pick. As long as you can secure in onto the surface of the accessory, you can use it!
- Plan your design. Lay out the things you want to attach to the hair accessory. When choosing what items to decorate an item with, check if the accessory can handle the weight of the decorative item. Before you decide to glue something, try and see if the colors and the items you have chosen work well together. This will give you an idea on the completed look of your finished accessory.
- Design with a theme in mind. Do you want to create a hairpiece to use for the holidays? Will it be something for Halloween or a birthday party? Do you want to do an English roses themed headband? Do you want to express your love for small stuffed animals? When choosing a theme, work with the materials that are available to you.
- Choose a color scheme. Another approach you can take when creating your hair accessory is to go with a color motif. If your little girl loves pink, choose pink flowers, pink hearts and pink sequins to place on her hat. White is great for weddings. You don’t have to stick with one color. Contrasting colors also look great together. If you want something dramatic, choose decorations in white, black and red.
- If possible, sew it together first. Put together your decorations and secure it as a cluster, before you attach it to the headband or barrette. It will be less bulky and easier to attach something that is in one piece, rather than to have to individual glue the parts together. For example, if you are making a small cluster of roses with leaves and pearl seedlings, secure that together and as a whole piece, attach it to the hair accessory. This way, if it comes off, you still have the entire piece that you can reattach.
- Secure with glue gun or thread. When you have settled on your design and layout, be sure to properly secure the items onto the hair accessory. Use a glue gun so that the decoration won’t easily come off, but do not put too much glue such that it creates big visible clumps. Most items can be attached to a plastic or metal surface using a glue gun. However, for a cloth headband or cloth hat, you may be better off sewing into the fabric. Allow the piece to dry before using.
- Clean it up. Now that you have completed your creation, be sure to clean up any messes. Take away any visible clumps of glue. Wipe with a damp cloth any marks, scuffs or dirt on your decorations.
Voila! It’s that simple. Truly, your only limit is your imagination. This craft is a fun-filled activity that you can do with your daughter. Wear your design proudly, knowing that you made it yourself.