Dermabrasion is a procedure that helps exfoliate the top layers of the skin. This procedure will get rid of fine wrinkles, make your skin look younger and even out your skin tone. This will also clear out the scars left by acne, accidents or previous surgery. Most people are too busy to go to their dermatologists for the procedure. Some are even too shy to go the clinic. Besides, professional dermabrasion can be really expensive and timely. For these reasons and more, there are home kits for dermabrasion that are available in the market so you can do your own dermabrasion at home.
Here is how easily you can do it at home:
- Choose the best dermabrasion product. There are a lot of products available in the nearby drugstore but choose the brand that suits your budget and one that you feel comfortable with. An average home dermabrasion kit would include a dermabrasion crystal and a moisturizer. Some kits include an exfoliating facial cloth or a wand that you can use to apply the crystal to your face. In case the kit includes a wand, you would need to buy batteries for that.
- Prepare the materials. In order for your home dermabrasion procedure to be successful, it is better if you prepare the materials that you need for the procedure before you start everything.
- Cleanse your skin. It is important that you cleanse your skin before exfoliating to get rid of bacteria and prevent infection. Use lukewarm water so that your pores will open up and the clogs will be removed.
- Apply the dermabrasion crystals. If your kit does not include a wand or an exfoliating cloth, use your hands to apply the crystals to your face. To do this, put a small amount of the dermabrasion crystals to your fingertips and gently rub it to your face in a circular, outward motion—do this to all the parts of your face, making sure you cover the entire face. Continue massaging gently for at least 1 to 2 minutes or however long the instruction manual that comes with your product says. If, however, your kit includes a wand, make sure there are batteries and then put the application pad to the wand and turn it on. Use the wand to massage or rub the product unto your face. If your kit includes an exfoliating cloth, use the cloth to gently rub the product.
- Rinse. After massaging the dermabrasion crystal to your skin, rinse with cold water so that the pores will tighten because you don’t want your pores to be clogged up by germs and dirt after cleaning your face. Rinse until your face is clean.
- Moisturize. If your product includes a toner, apply it to your skin with cotton balls and then apply moisturizer. Put the moisturizer to your fingertips and then massage it gently to your face making sure you cover up the whole facial area.
- Protect. Before going out of the house on a sunny day, make sure to apply sunblock.
Repeat these steps when using your dermabrasion kit again. Do not do
this on consecutive days. Do your home dermabrasion skin up to 2 to 3
times per week or as indicated in the instructions manual of your
product. For those with sensitive skin, it is better if you do this only
once a week.