If you have tickets to a gala event, then you know it’s time to bring out the long gowns and couture dresses. Gala events are strictly formal, which means it’s a black tie and tux for men, and long gowns for women. If this is your first gala and you’re not sure how to dress for the evening, here are some tips to keep in mind.
- Err on the side of being formal. If you’re not sure what to wear, it’s better to be slightly overdressed than to be underdressed. As a safe bet, opt for a long formal evening gown instead of a little black cocktail dress that ends above the knees. If you’re not sure what that means, look at how the ladies dress up during the Oscars. That should give you an excellent idea on how you should look for your own red carpet event.
- Choose your fabric. Go for the most sumptuous of fabrics. Silk, taffeta, velvet and chiffon and excellent fabric choices for your evening gown. Avoid cotton knits, denim and jersey for evening wear. You will only look shabby, regardless of the cut of the attire.
- Go for high but comfortable shoes. Don’t ruin your gown by wearing chunky and heavy pumps. For evening wear, sexy strappy heels are a must. Most gala events start off with a dinner and end with some dancing, so be sure you can tolerate wearing your high heels for the duration of the evening. There’s no point in wearing your sexiest and most expensive shoes if your feet will be killing you for the rest of the night. To make even the most unforgiving shoe styles more tolerable, try using petal inserts. These are cushioned foot pads that support the ball of the feet that you can easily stick on your favorite strappy pair.
- Complete with accessories. The right jewelry can make or break an outfit. If your evening gown is on the conservative and simple end, go ahead and glam it up with chandelier earrings or a dramatic neckpiece. If you don’t have the real thing, make sure your faux jewelry is well made. Have only one dramatic piece of jewelry, so if you have fabulous earrings, keep your necklace bare or wear a very simple bracelet.
- Go glamorous. It’s time to get those tresses styled! You may want to pay a professional stylist to do your hair and makeup for the gala. If you have an intricate hairstyle, make sure it will hold up the whole night. Bring focus to your eyes with smokey makeup. You may even want to dab a little bit of shimmering lotion on your bare arms, shoulders and legs to add a little sparkle to your skin.
- Don’t forget the men. It’s easier for men to dress for formal events. Rent a black tux and wear with a white or black bow tie. Never go to a gala without a jacket or suit coat on. Also, make sure your leather shoes and shined properly. There’s no room for scuffed shoes at these events.
Have fun! This is the time to dress up and look your most fabulous best. Galas are far and few between so work your style and glamor factor to the max!