Attending social events is fun as it’s a chance to bond with friends, be with people you haven’t seen for a long time and get to know new ones. However, what to wear is always a big question. You may feel a strike of panic because you don’t know what clothes are appropriate for the event. There are different dress codes for different social events. You definitely don’t want to be underdressed or overdressed.
- Know the specific social event you’re attending. Example of social events are weddings, birthdays, office parties, friends get togethers, family reunion and holiday celebrations. The place and time of the event will also help you in deciding what to wear.
- Check on the invitation for the dress code. Most invitations will include the dress code to give the invited person an idea on what to wear. Ask the host for more information on what to wear on the event. If you know other people attending the social event, ask what they will be wearing so you will know more or less which clothes to pick.
- Other events have themes. Choose clothes appropriate for the theme. For example, if the theme is fairy tale, pick a dress worn by fairy tale characters. If the theme is white, wear something white.
- If you are attending a cocktail party, wear an above the knee strapless cocktail dress with high heels shoes or straps. This is also best for a formal party. Wear make-up but make sure that it’s not too much. Wear something that complements your skin. If you have fair skin, any color will usually suit you. But if there’s a specific color that looks best on you, wear it. If you have dark skin, go for light colors. If you’re wearing an intricate necklace, pair it with stud earrings or no earrings at all.
- For office parties, make sure to wear something a little bit conservative. It doesn’t mean you need to cover your whole body. Wear something that doesn’t show much skin because people in this event are your bosses and officemates.
- Get together with friends and family reunions usually don’t require you to be all dressy, unless you were specifically told to wear formal. You can wear jeans, a simple top, necklace, earrings and heels. Put on a little make up. You want to have fun without overdressing.
- Semi formal events do not require you to be on long dress. Short dress paired with simple accessories is in. Long gowns can be worn on formal night gatherings.
Make sure to get as much information as you can about the event to know the appropriate dress to wear. Whatever the event is, comfort should always come first. You will not enjoy no matter how beautiful your dress is if you’re not at ease. Make sure that your dress is clean, ironed and free of holes. Don’t forget the most important accessory that will make you stand out—your smile! With your comfortable dress and stunning smile, you will surely have a great time!