Skin care products used to be manufactured only for women. But there are products now in the market specifically created for men. Since your skin can lose its moisture due to excessive exposure to sunlight or heat, you would need a moisturizer to bring back your skin’s natural feel.
To find the right moisturizer for men take note of the following tips:
1. First consult a dermatologist to know what your skin type is and what kind of moisturizer you would need.
2. Ask for recommend brands and read reviews about moisturizing products.
3. Generally it is safe to use moisturizers that are:
- Hypoallergenic and fit especially for acne prone or sensitive skin
- Dermatology tested
- Fragrance-free and preservative-free
4. The most effective facial creams are rich in essential oils and fatty acids, vitamins and minerals, botanical extracts, nutrients, and antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect skin from damage caused by pollutants, the sun, and other harmful elements in the environment.
5. Below is a list of ingredients that should be in the moisturizer you choose.
- Shea butter that penetrates the skin to make it feel smooth and not oily
- Glycerin that retains the sufficient water to maintain your skin balance
- Silicone, a water-binding agent for long-lasting protection
- Green tea, white tea extracts, grape fruit extracts, olive leaf that act as antioxidants and can prevent the growth of free radicals
- Omega fatty acids that can maintain and replenish your skin's moisture balance and fight aging signs
- Aloe vera that can provide the essential nutrients like amino acids, minerals and vitamins to help heal and regenerate skin.
- Carrot extract or Daucus carota, rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C, and E that keep skin healthy. Carrot extract contains ethereal oils, carotene, pectic substances, and sugar that help prevent loss of moisture.
- Vitamins C, A, and E that can promote healthy skin. The collagen formed by vitamins helps maintain your skin’s consistency, help retain water to slow down dryness.
- Jojoba oil that retains moisture by strengthening your skin’s hydrolipidic film.
- Natural ingredients like olive oil, manuka honey, almond oil, and some hydrating agents
- Cynergy TK and witch hazel that helps protect skin from becoming red or inflamed after shaving
6. Before applying moisturizing creams or lotions on a large area of your skin or face, experiment on applying a small amount of the moisturizer using samples. Observe how your skin will react to the lotion or cream.
7. Try a skin care product for anti-aging that can serve as a moisturizer or antioxidant with vitamins that can also lessen wrinkles and lines on your face.
8. Avoid using these type of moisturizers:
- Facial creams that have petroleum based mineral oils. These creams may clog your skin pores and leave a greasy film.
- Products with formaldehyde and SD alcohol that can dry up your skin
- Creams or moisturizing lotions that are heavily scented
- Products that contain preservatives that may cause allergic reactions. Preservative ingredients may include parabens, propylene glycol, sulfate, sodium lauryl, and sodium benzoate.
9. Search the Internet to find out where your preferred moisturizer is available. Check the ingredients used and compare the prices. The products offered may be sold cheaper online and may even be delivered for free.