If you stand five feet and four inches or lower, with a small-framed body, then you fall under the petite size. Several years back it was very difficult to find adult-sized clothes in petite sizes and most women who fell into this size category usually resorted to looking for clothes in the teenagers and young miss sections of the clothes department. Even shoes may be hard to find as most of the petite women have narrow and long or short feet.
Today a lot of clothes designers have taken notice and have come up with petite versions of their regular line. Even those that mass produce clothing have taken the initiative to provide petite sizes to cater to all body types. There are several ways where you can find petite clothing, using some of the tips given below.
- Check out the petite clothes section in a department store. In some stores they allocate a different section just for petite clothing while in some stores they are displayed together with other clothing lines in different sizes. Most manufacturers and designers have a complete size line for each particular design.
- You may also look for specialty stores catering to petite women. You may be able to find such stores online with onsite stores where you can browse the designs and labels they carry.
- There may be some other petite women who work in your office building, colleagues and acquaintances who are also petite. Ask them where they shop for their clothes and check out the stores for the styles and brand that are available.
- Check out the latest designs in petite sizes from well known clothing designers like Anne Klein, Ellen Tracy, Liz Claiborne, Sour Grapes, David Brooks and many others. Some clothing manufacturers have mail order catalogs and onsite shops where you can check out the latest fashion creations designed for petite women. Some of these are Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Chico’s, Coldwater Creek, J. Jill, Nordstrom, and Talbots. You can check out their websites and visit the Petite Section. Take note of the designers whose creations you like and use the store locator to find an onsite shop one near you.
- Look for discount stores that carry petite size clothing. They may offer you big discounts if you become a regular customer. Just like plus size clothes, petite clothes are quite difficult to sell and frequent buyers may be given some incentives to continue patronizing their shops. You may be able to get them to keep you informed when new designs become available.
- You can do an online search for stores that carry a petite line of clothing. One website you can use is Apparel Search to view a list of retail stores that sell petite and sometimes plus size clothing. The website also offers a guide on how to buy petite clothing.
Spending some time to search for the right shops and designers to patronize for your petite clothing can save you from a lot of frustration and headache. It is a good thing that designers and clothing manufacturers realized the market potential of petite sizes and reacted to it favorably. Now to do not have to scour the teenage and young miss sections to find clothes that will fit you.