For most prescription eyeglass wearers it can be a dilemma when it comes to choosing the right frame that will match their face shape. Prescription eyeglasses can hide the most expressive features of your face – your eyes – therefore it is very important that you choose the right frame to make up for it by defining the shape of your face so that the rest of your facial features will be highlighted. Below are some tips that will help you to find the best eyeglass frames that will suit your face shape.
Three important factors. There are three things to keep in mind when you choose eyeglass frames. These three things will eliminate the tedious task of trying on several eyeglass frames to see which one will look right for you. What are the things you need to remember? One, the frame should complement your best feature. If your eyes are blue, a blue frame will bring your eyes into focus and highlight their color. Two, the eyeglass frames should contrast with the contours of your face. Three, the size of the eyeglass frames should be proportional to the size of your face. The outside of the frame should be in line with the outline of your face. The arms of the frame should not be pressing the sides of your eyes and your temples.
Overall shape. Next you have to know the overall shape of your face. Face shapes are generally classified as round, oblong, oval, triangle, inverted triangle, square and diamond.
- Round. Since a round face basically has no angles and same proportion all around, a square frame is suitable. Narrower frames will lengthen your face.
- Oval. Those with oval faces should look for a wide frame, one that is as wide as the widest part of the face.
- Oblong. People with oblong faces should use eyeglass frames that have more depth, with some detailing or contrasting arms to shorten the face.
- Triangular. Cat’s eyes frames or those with detailing on the upper part of the eyeglass frame will look good on someone with a triangle-shaped face. Those with a pointy chin and wider forehead or a face that is shaped like an inverted triangle can minimize the width on the upper part of the face with rimless lenses or those that are wider at the bottom. Using light colored frames will also work best for this face shape.
- Diamond. A diamond shaped face, one that is narrow on top, wide in the middle and narrow at the jaw line will look good in eyeglass frames suitable to those with triangle, upside down triangle and oblong faces.
- Square. Someone with a square face should look for eyeglass frames that are narrower or oval in shape or wider than the outline of the face.
Hair style and color. You should also consider your hairstyle and hair color, your skin coloring and the color of your eyes when choosing eyeglass frames. Those with warm hair and skin tones should go with eyeglass frames with warm, earthy colors while those with cool skin and hair coloring should go for dramatic contrasts or for light colored frames.
There are websites that will help you determine your face shape and the
recommended shape for eyeglass frames. You can visit SpecMakers.com or
LensCrafters.com where you can even upload or photograph and look for
the recommended eyeglass frames.