The glitz and glamour of bygone eras are making a comeback in the latest fashions styles and trends. Accessories play a big part in this comeback and a lot of vintage accessories such as jewelry are getting more attention than ever. Whether you want to collect them or wear them with your vintage clothes or as a conversation piece accent to your modern clothes, you need to have background information on the type of jewelry that were in fashion before as well as where to look for them. Here are a few tips.
- Scour antique stores as these are the stores that are most likely to have a collection of vintage jewelry in their inventory. Most antique stores get consigned items from other antique owners and collectors. Some are consigned by relatives of someone who passed away. There are some vintage jewelry pieces that are not appraised of their true value and you may be able to get your hands on some valuable pieces as remarkably low prices. Some get their merchandise for buying huge lots items from estate sales. Make sure you know what you are looking for and check all the items before making a purchase. You should also acquaint yourself with the pricing scheme for the different types of vintage jewelry.
- Check second hand shops where vintage clothing and vintage jewelry are sold. Chances are there will be very good pieces that you can find from these stores. If the store is selling original vintage clothing, check if they also carry vintage jewelry, either original, which may be hard to come by or reproduction to complement the clothing that they sell.
- Some vintage jewelry may be broken. Check if the pieces can be repaired or if you can have a new item fashioned from a broken piece. An earring that has lost its pair can be turned into pendants. For the rest make sure that the stones are still complete and the setting is still firm. You may find it hard to replace missing stones.
- Browse the online stores specializing in vintage jewelry. Check out the items that are for sale at Granny's Jewelry Box. You can choose for several collections available in different price ranges. There are signed and unsigned designer vintage jewelry, charms, estate jewelry in silver and gold and a lot more. All items are described in detail and they state the condition of the items, including missing stones.
- Glitterbug has a wide selection of previously-owned vintage costume jewelry. Several pieces are signed and unsigned designer collections from designers such as Weiss, Haskell, Schiaparelli and Rosentein. They all look fabulous and prices are affordable. You can choose from earrings, pins, bracelets, necklaces and clips and view jewelry sets. You can also browse the items by material.
- You can also check the website of Michelle's Vintage Jewelry. They have a collection of rare vintage jewelry and accessories that dates back to the 1940s. Some are signed and unsigned designer pieces in different price ranges.
Vintage jewelry are more pricey than other types of jewelry and care should be taken when buying them. Ensure that you are the items you are buying are genuine by dealing only with reputable vendors. The value of these jewelry items may increase in time and it can be a wise investment move to look for signed designer collectibles.