Nothing makes you look tired or stressed more than dark circles under your eyes. If you are plagued with pale skin and dark circles, there are some things you can do about it. Since heredity is the most common cause of dark circles, you may not be able to get rid of them completely but with a few household items and a little time, you may be able to minimize the darkness.
Ice or cold pack
- Get enough sleep. Lack of sleep may not always cause dark circles, but it definitely makes them worse. Make sure that you get your full six to eight hours every night, or however much your body requires.
- Drink water to hydrate. Dry skin shows wear and age faster than hydrated skin. Drink at least eight glasses of water each day to keep your skin and body hydrated.
- Moisturize your skin. The skin under your eyes is sensitive, so use a moisturizer designed for your eyes. Be careful of any allergies.
- Take vitamins including E, K and B12. Most of us don’t get enough vitamins through our regular diet. If you are one of these people, take a daily supplement. For your skin you need E, K and B12 as a minimum.
- Wear sunglasses when outside. Ultraviolet rays are harmful to our skin and eyes. Whenever you are outside, protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses. Don’t just wear them on bright sunny days. Protect your eyes from glare and UV rays on cloudy days as well.
- Soothe your eyes with ice or a cold cloth. At the end of a long day (or whenever you’re tired), quiet your eyes with a soothing cold cloth. Lie down and relax, then put an ice-cold cloth over your eyes. The cold causes the capillaries to contract, which reduces the puffiness and darkness under your eyes.
Dark circles make you look tired and old before your time. Take the time to take care of your eyes and your skin. You will be much happier with your youthful appearance once you get rid of the black circles beneath your eyes.