Cocoa butter is vegetable fat from cacao beans. Because of its moisturizing and hydrating effects, it is used in many different cosmetic products such as soaps, lotions, and creams. Cocoa butter helps in improving skin elasticity, which is why it is also used in correcting stretch marks. Cocoa butter does this by moisturizing the top layer of the stretch marks. But because stretch marks are deep skin scars, cocoa butter can only improve the appearance of the skin and cannot totally eliminate the stretch marks. But it is, in any case, effective. Here’s how to use cocoa butter stick for stretch marks.
- Wash the stretch mark area. Before applying the cocoa butter stick to the skin, it is important that you first wash the stretch mark area. If you prefer, you can also exfoliate the area with your favorite body scrub. After washing, gently pat the stretch mark area dry. Use a clean towel for this.
- Massage Vitamin E to the stretch mark area. For better results, you can choose to apply Vitamin E to the stretch mark area. This will further moisturize your skin and prepare it for the application of cocoa butter. To do this, pinch open a Vitamin E capsule, then gently rub the content onto the skin until the entire stretch mark area is covered. Leave it for about five minutes. Remember that Vitamin E is a little sticky, so it might prove to be quite uncomfortable.
- Apply cocoa butter onto the skin. After five minutes, the Vitamin E has mostly dried off, so you can now begin to rub the cocoa butter stick onto your skin. Do this very gently. Notice that cocoa butter melts as it touches your skin, so carefully spread the oil to all affected parts. Then, continue massaging your skin.
- Cover the stretch mark area. Allow the skin to absorb the moisturizing benefits of the cocoa butter stick for about 10 minutes. After which, cover the stretch mark area with a clean soft cloth or a gauze. The moisture will be sealed in and will work to soften the stretch mark area.
- Wash the treated area. After a few hours, you can remove the covering and wash the stretch mark area. You might not notice immediate results, but if you do it twice daily for a few months, you will see that the stretch marks will improve and won’t look as bad as they had been before the cocoa butter treatment.
If you prefer, you can make your own cocoa butter stick. Just blend and heat half a cup of cocoa butter, one teaspoon of Vitamin E, two teaspoon of grated beeswax, one teaspoon of apricot oil, and one tablespoon of wheat germ oil. Refrigerate the product, and use it in the same way you use the commercially available cocoa butter stick. If, however, you have a severe case of stretch marks, you might want to consider undergoing a laser surgery. This kind of surgical procedure goes as far as removing the skin with stretch marks. This will ensure you of a clear, beautiful skin, but like any surgical procedure, this will cost you some amount.