Cold weather can wreak havoc on your skin. It can leave your skin rough, dry and scaly. The cold and warm conditions outside and inside your house respectively contribute to bad skin condition during the winter months. Hot baths that you usually have during the winter season also help to make your skin very dry that you can write on it. Before winter ends you should prepare your skin for the warm temperature of spring with some simple steps. Here they are.
- Remove dry, rough and scaly skin with gentle exfoliation. There are many natural exfoliating recipes that you can follow for condition your skin for spring. A mix of granulated sugar with olive oil will slough off dead cells all over your body particularly those that are exposed to winter weather such as your face and your arms. The olive oil will provide rich moisturizing solution for your dry skin. You can also use a combination of table salt and baking soda as natural exfoliants. Use them before you take a warm bath. Warm baths are less drying on your skin. Dry your body with gentle pats using a thick absorbent towel.
- Moisturize your skin with a lotion that is rich in glycerin and vitamin E. These ingredients are effective moisturizers that will leave your skin smooth and silky and remove dry and scaly skin and soften rough spots. Another method to prepare your skin for spring is to apply a thin coat of white petroleum jelly all over your feet and wearing cotton socks before you sleep. You can do the same with your hand. Apply a thing coat of petroleum jelly over you hands and wear cotton gloves overnight. Your skin will really feel smooth and conditioned in the morning. You can apply petroleum jelly on your hands before wearing cotton gloves and donning rubber gloves when you are going to do any household chores. This will give your hands a wonderful beauty treatment while you are finishing your household tasks.
- Your face and lips need conditioning and moisturizing too. Exfoliate your face with a gentle exfoliating soap or cleanser before applying a generous amount of moisturizer all over your face and neck. Apply petroleum jelly to your lips to protect them from the cold wind outside. When the weather gets warmer apply sunscreen over your moisturizer. Do not forget all the exposed parts of your body, too.
- A good facial steam once a week will help you get your skin ready for spring. Combine that with gentle exfoliation and frequent application of moisturizers twice daily for truly radiant skin ready to face the warmer weather.
- Try out some other homemade recipes that will help maintain your skin during winter and through spring. A facial mask made from instant oatmeal and boiling water is very good for moisturizing sensitive skin. Prepare the oatmeal according to instructions, using less boiling water to make a thick paste. Allow this to cool before you apply it to your face. Leave it on for at least fifteen minutes before you rinse it off with warm water.
- If you have oily skin and big pores use an egg white and orange juice facial mask. Mix two egg whites with a quarter cup of fresh orange juice. Apply the mixture to your face and leave it on for fifteen minutes then rinse it off with warm water to tighten your pores and a brighter face.
Do not neglect your skin during the winter months. Continue your beauty regimen to maintain smooth and moisturized skin during the colder months and prepare it to welcome the warm spring days.