Putting highlights on your hair will definitely enhance your hairstyle. There are a lot of ways of putting on highlights and it is even possible to do it on your own at home. One simple technique that you can do is with the use of foil. Here are some tips to help you create highlights on your hair with foil.
- Prep your hair. You need to make sure that your hair is clean and dry. Chemicals from the water, pool, or other styling products may affect the quality of your highlight. So to make sure that your color will come out the way you want it, it's best to use a specific type of shampoo that can remove chemicals from your hair. Check out the supermarket and choose a brand that you are comfortable with.
- Choose the right color. Highlights are supposed to enhance your look. So if it is the first time you are dyeing your hair, it is best to go for at most 3 shades darker or lighter than your natural hair. Most of the manufacturers indicate the color of end-results in the label and you should review this and decide which will look great as highlight for your hair.
- Prepare the foil. Prepare the foils that you will use for highlighting. Make at least 20 foil strips with 3 inches width. The number of foil strips you need will depend on the thickness of your hair, so feel free to add as necessary. If you have curly hair, you may adjust the thickness of the foil strip to 4 inches.
- Section your hair. Comb your hair with a tail brush and style it the way you want it. Then, section your hair and separate the strands that you want to be highlighted. To do this, you need to separate layers of your hair around the head into inch-wide layers. Clip the layers and proceed to doing the same procedure until your hair is sectioned in layers from nape to forehead.
- Divide the layers. Divide each layer into 2-3 inch wide sections, then get the top-most part of each section and separate it. Get a foil and place it underneath and brush it with hair color. Then, fold the foil in half or more depending on the length of your hair. Repeat the same procedure with the rest of the sections.
- Use a timer. Read the instructions indicated in the hair color product you purchased thoroughly and make sure to check the number of minutes you need to leave the hair color on. If possible, use a timer to ensure that you will not exceed the required number of minutes. Set the time from the moment you colored the last layer of your hair. Remember, the length of time you leave the color on your hair will greatly affect the end-result of your highlight so you need to be watchful.
- Wash and rinse your hair. You can now remove the foil and wash off the hair color using your shampoo and conditioner. Dry your hair using a towel and check the outcome of your highlights. It is also recommended that you use a conditioner specifically used for after-hair color.
Remember, highlights can instantly change your hairstyle, so try it out and follow these easy steps.