Authenticity is the key and sometimes people will lie to you to make you buy what they have. Consumers are blinded by the brand name and think that a fancy and popular name can say everything about the quality of the shirt, food or handbag. Well, not everything is in the name. Some unscrupulous businessmen can just as easily switch out the real ones for fakes, tricking you into paying lots of cash for something that in reality is worth only a fraction of the asking price. Designer handbags are one product that keeps on getting faked. Want to know if that really pricey Chanel handbag is the real thing and not some cheap mock-up? Here is how to identify an authentic Chanel handbag:
- The logo. The Chanel logo is comprised of two interlocking C’s that are facing away from each other. The two C’s should intersect at the exact same two identical points, once near the top and another near the bottom. It should resemble an eye. Some fakes might not have the correct logo or might have just painted it on. Authentic leather bags have the logo engraved.
- The serial number. Chanel bags have serial numbers hidden somewhere inside the bag. The identification number is printed on a white rectangular piece of sticker paper underneath two gold Chanel logos while older bags have it under one logo. The sticker should be covered by a piece of clear tape of the same size. It will most likely be located in the lower left corner of the bag or in the zipper pocket.
- The authenticity card. Most manufacturers will add an authenticity card to verify that this product is authentic. The Chanel authenticity card should have the serial number embossed on it and should match the serial number found separately inside the bag. A missing card or if the numbers do not match is a telling sign allowing you to easily identify the bag a fake.
- Engraved logo on the hardware of the strap. A bag with an engraved logo on the strap’s hardware is most likely the real deal. Bag missing the engraved logo or having the wrong logo are fakes.
- The zippers. Examining authentic Chanel bags will reveal that ‘Chanel’ is engraved on one side of the sticker while the logo is on the other side.
- Craftsmanship. There is a reason why these bags are so expensive and are held in high regard. It is because they are very-well made. From the materials to the machines, everything is top of the line. Examine the bag for mistakes or lose threads. If it seems perfect, it is probably authentic. Most fakes sacrifice the quality of the bag.
Examining a Chanel bag is not weird or meticulous but just plain old smart shopping. You never ever want to be hoodwinked into spending your hard earned money on a cheap knock-off. Arm yourself with knowledge. Use these tips to spot an authentic Chanel handbag from a mile away and impress your friends with your shopping know-how.