It has been said that cleanliness is next to godliness. This saying simply illustrates the importance of having good personal hygiene. Not only will you be perceived better, but also, you owe it to yourself to take the best possible care of yourself. If anyone’s ever said you need to work on your personal hygiene, here’s what you need to do right now.
- Take a bath at least once a day. If necessary, take a bath twice a day. If you worked long hours under the heat of the sun or you sweated profusely, take a bath before going to sleep. Ideally, you should take a bath again when you wake up. However, if you only have time for one bath, make it the evening bath after a long day. This will not only help you unwind, but it will wash away all the dirt and grime that has accumulated throughout the day. When you take a bath, you must also wash your hair with a lightweight moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. You can skip washing your hair every other day as long as it doesn’t smell bad.
- Use the right products. Taking a bath doesn’t mean standing under running water. Use soap and shampoo! Use a good antiperspirant and deodorant to combat body odor. Use soaps that contain triclosan and other germ killing ingredients to fight off the germs that cause body odor. Avoid using colognes to mask your bad smell. You’re only fooling yourself. There’s no substitute for a good bath with a good dose of scrubbing to remove any stinky and sweaty smells.
- Brush and floss. Your oral hygiene is another important aspect of your personal hygiene. You should brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste for at least two minutes. Don’t forget to brush your tongue, or use a tongue cleaner. Most bad breath is caused by germs left on the tongue so include the tongue when you brush. After brushing, floss your teeth. This removes any food particles that may rot between your teeth and cause an unsavory odor. It’s also for the benefit of your gum health. Replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Trim your nails and hair. Looking well groomed is part of your personal hygiene. Trim your finger and toenails once a week and be sure to clean the underside of the nail. For men and women, hair should be trimmed at least every six weeks to keep your coiffure looking neat and tidy. If you are growing your hair out, be sure to shampoo and condition your hair regularly, and try to style it so it is off your face.
- Wear clean clothes. There’s no point in taking a bath only to wear the same dirty clothes again. Avoid reusing shirts and tops. Never reuse socks or you’ll get funky smelling feet! Pants can be reused as long as they are clean and not smelly.
- Launder your clothes properly. Use hot water and a good detergent to get your clothes clean. Add a cup of baking soda to the wash to help remove any funny odors. If possible, air dry your clothes under direct sunlight to use the germ killing action of the sun. do not pack away clothes that are damp or it will cause molds to grow.
Taking the time to pay attention to your personal hygiene is of utmost importance. If you smell or look dirty, you will instantly repel people away from you. Don’t be a social pariah. Take care of yourself now!