As you age, the skin on your face loses elasticity, making the skin sag. This is especially true around the delicate eye area wherein the skin tends to be thinner. Sagging skin around the eye area gives you a tired and haggard appearance. Here are some measures you can take to help the appearance of sagging skin under the eyes.
- Look for lifting and firming eye creams. If sagging skin around the eye area is your problem, choose your eye cream carefully. Get something that specifically says it is for lifting or firming the eye area. Ingredients to look for are DMAE, Pycnogenol and Phospholipids. These anti-aging ingredients help improve collagen production and deal with the loss of elasticity of the skin. An excellent product to try is Perricone MD- High Potency Lift Eye Cream.
- Co-enzyme Q-10. This wonder ingredient can be found in many over the counter eye creams. This liposome has been shown to improve collagen levels on the skin, making it appear smoother and tighter. Examples of brands that you can try are Lumessence Lift Firming Renewal Cream with CoQ10 Liposomes by Aubrey Organics, Q-Vectin Botox Alternative Eye Cream with CoQ10 and St. Ives CoQ10 Eye Cream.
- Eat food rich in DMAE and other skin loving ingredients. DMAE or Dimethylamino Ethanol is an ingredient found in many skin care products. It is an amino acid that protects the integrity of the cells which helps improve sagging. You can find it in fish especially salmon and sardines. Eat anti oxidant rich foods, especially berries, to help fight the ravaging effects of cellular damage. Anti-inflammatory rich food and food items that contain essential fatty acids such as dark green leafy vegetables and olive oil will also help decrease the appearance of sagging skin. On the other hand, you should also avoid foods that are highly inflammatory to the skin, such as alcohol and high sugar foods.
- Drink a lot of water. Drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day helps the body flush out toxins and excess fluids. To further improve the lympathic drainage system of your face, you may want to gently massage the skin by getting a regular facial. Also, make sure you get ample amounts of sleep. If you don’t have enough sleep, your sagging eye skin condition will become aggravated.
- Take it to the pros. If your diet and lifestyle changes don’t improve the skin, you may need to consult your dermatologist or plastic surgeon about other procedures for more dramatic results. Thermage is an option for you to consider if you want to tighten skin without having to go under the knife. Keep in mind that results will fully show about three months after a procedure is performed. If you don’t mind a little plastic surgery, you can get eye lift or a blepharoplasty. Blepharoplasty surgery helps improve the appearance of sagging skin by removing excess skin and fat under the eye area, giving it a firmer and tighter appearance.
Consider these options if you want to make improvements on your skin. There are both surgical and natural ways to improve the condition, but as always, prevention is key.