African-American hair may require a little extra care during certain months as its particular structure has a tendency to break very easily and can experience more dryness than most. This is due to the fact that it is the most porous type of hair. Because of this, there may be differences in hair routines as compared to other types of hair. Come winter time when the weather is cold, it is necessary to follow a certain regimen for Africa-American hair to ensure that it stays moist and healthy throughout the season. If you have this type of hair, here are a few tips you may want to use to keep your hair in shape and prevent it from drying out during the winter:
- For regular types of hair, shampooing frequently may not be too much of a problem, mainly because they can get quite oily. However, African-American hair may only require once a week of shampooing. Generally, the frequent use of shampoos can cause the hair to get dry which is something you would not need. You may wash your hair with water everyday but limit on your shampooing, especially during the cold months. When drying up your hair, try to avoid rubbing it too much as you could cause breakage. Instead, blot your hair gently with your towel.
- Get a hot oil treatment. Place hot oil not only on your hair but on your scalp as well. Cover the hair with a plastic cap and stay underneath a dryer for around 15 minutes. You may also use a towel to wrap around your hair. This process can be used for deep conditioning. Get a high quality conditioner, place into your hair and scalp and follow the same procedure. Once done, remove the towel and rinse your hair thoroughly. This is a necessary routine that must be done especially for brittle and dry hair.
- Avoid the use of products that have ingredients such as petrolatum or contain mineral oil. These are the cheap types of oil that do not improve your hair but will instead clog up your pores and take away your hair’s moisture. The best ones to use are coconut oil and jojoba, which are excellent conditioners. For moisturizing the hair, shea butter is an ideal solution. A daily application of a good type of oil on your hair will help in keeping it healthy and shiny.
- After shampooing, make sure to apply conditioner on your hair as well. Look for the best quality conditioners you can find, especially those that are enriched with essential minerals and nutrients. A conditioner that contains Vitamin E is especially good for dry hair and helps it to retain its moisture.
- Avoid the use of too many heating appliances on your hair to avoid further drying and damage. The use of heating irons and blow dryers, among others, must be kept at a minimum. Covering your hair before going to bed during cold winter nights also helps in keeping moisture locked into it.
It is a good idea to maintain a hairstyle that does not require too much styling and needs a lot of maintenance. Wash and wear hair is perfect especially during the winter. With the proper care and with the use of good products, you should easily be able to keep your hair in shape, no matter what season it is.